Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Teen who raped seven-year-old boy handed probation order

Sean McCorry, from Lurgan, pictured outside Craigavon Crown Court. Credit: Pacemaker

A teenager from Northern Ireland who raped a seven-year-old boy has been told he would have been jailed for seven years if he had been “more mature”.

Sean McCorry, from Brownlow Terrace in Lurgan, can now be identified after turning 18 on Monday.

He was sentenced at Craigavon Crown Court after previously admitting three charges of rape between 10 January and 13 May 2015 and one of sexual touching involving penetration.

McCorry committed the offences when he was aged 13.

The court previously heard that the victim had been visiting relatives close to where relatives of the defendant lived when he was raped twice in the back of a van and once in a shed during two separate incidents.

The boy told his mum who, in turn, alerted the police.

The court further heard that the incidents had occurred after McCorry had been watching pornography with his school friends.

The teenager was arrested and questioned and, while he initially gave “no comment” responses, he later made admissions.

Defence QC Peter Irvine highlighted that McCorry himself was only 13 when the offences were committed and that he had no previous convictions, adding that his guilty pleas had spared the victim from having to testify.

“What happened was totally wrong and unacceptable,” Mr Irvine said, as he submitted that the defendant himself was vulnerable because he was well below average intellectual ability with mild learning difficulties.

He further stated that the probation report had assessed McCorry as not posing a risk of harm to others, and concluded his plea in mitigation by telling the court the teenager was “extremely remorseful” for what happened.

Judge Patrick Lynch QC sentenced McCorry to a three-year probation order, describing the charges as “very serious” and adding: “The court cannot gloss over them.”

He also told McCorry: “The use of pornography may have had an impact on your offending.”

Judge Lynch said the young victim had been attending counselling and had suffered a “profound and lasting trauma”.

He further order McCorry to stay on the police sex offenders’ register for two-and-a-half years and imposed a seven-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

As part of the seven year SOPO, McCorry is:

  • prohibited from residing at any address or staying overnight without the prior approval of his Designated Risk Manager
  • to have no form of contact or communication, directly or indirectly, with the victim or his family
  • to have no unsupervised access, association, or communication with young persons under 16 unless approved
  • prohibited from entering into a relationship, intimate or otherwise, with any adult that affords him access to children without the prior approval of the Designated Risk Manager
  • prohibited from undertaking any activities in a paid, private, voluntary, educational or charitable capacity which affords access to children or young persons without prior notification to and approval of the Designated Risk Manager
  • banned from having a mobile phone or sim card which is not registered and approved by the Designated Risk Manager and must make it available on request for inspection by a police officer

The judge warned McCorry not to breach any of the conditions, adding: “If, for example, you are found with a phone that is not registered, you will be brought back to court and may be sent to prison for that.”