John Cooney's long-range penalty two minutes from time secured a 25-24Champions Cup comeback win for Ulster over Harlequins.

Ulster trailed 24-22 in the closing stages after two second-half tries fromQuins hooker Elia Elia had edged the visitors in front.

But an Adam McBurney try and Cooney's conversion left Ulster within range and Cooney's penalty made it three wins from three and left them on top of pool three.

Sean Reidy and Stuart McCloskey claimed Ulster's other tries along, bothconverted by Cooney, who also landed two penalties.

Stuart McCloskey scores his side's second try. Credit: INPHO

Quins, who earned a losing bonus point, had a try from Alex Dombrandt, inaddition to Elia's double. Marcus Smith converted all three tries and added apenalty.

After a bright opening, Ulster opened the scoring with a seventh-minute Cooney penalty with Marcus Smith responding two minutes later after the home side were offside at the restart.

Louis Ludik then intercepted a long cut-out pass from James Lang with Quins on top following a dangerous run from Gabriel Ibitoye.

Cooney then held on to the ball with Ludik free outside him before ChrisRobshaw's jackal on Marty Moore.

Quins crossed the line in the 24th minute after Dombrandt had initially won aCooney kick-chase. The visitors attacked left and after Ross Chisholm madeground down the right, Kyle Sinckler's short pass put Dombrandt through twotackles to score. Smith converted and Quins led 10-3.

Ulster hit back just after the half hour when via a penalty after IainHenderson's rip. Billy Burns' cross-kick picked out Stuart McCloskey whoseoff-load released Sean Reidy to gallop over the line.

Cooney's conversion tied the scores at 10-10 which is how the half ended.Clearly intent on making an early statement, McCloskey barrelled over in theleft corner three minutes after the restart when crisp passing from Burns andMarshall gave the Ulster centre a chance to smash through Chisholm. Cooney was well wide with the extras.

Smith hit the upright with a 50th-minute penalty shot after McCloskey waspinged for a high tackle on Francis Saili. But Quins came back three minutes before the hour.

A penalty for early engagement at a maul was put into the corner and Elia surged over the line through McCloskey's tackle.

Elia Elia scores a try for Harlequins. Credit: INPHO

Smith converted to nudge Quins ahead and then the visiting hooker grabbed his second from a length of the field move.

It came when Ludik was pulled down short of the Quins' line and Dombrandtintercepted Cooney's pass to Coetzee and charged downfield.

He linked with Chisholm and Ibitoye before, in midfield, Elia dummied KieranTreadwell and ran in unopposed making the extra two points a formality forSmith.

Ulster responded with a score off their own from a driving maul. A penalty was put to the corner and, after Henderson won the lineout, Ulster got earlymomentum and McBurney was driven over the line.

Cooney's conversion reduced the deficit to 24-22 and it then fell to thescrum-half to nail the match-winning penalty.

John Cooney celebrates at the final whistle with Louis Ludik and Billy Burns. Credit: INPHO