SDLP leader Colum Eastwood has recorded a landslide victory in Foyle, taking the seat back for his party from Sinn Féin’s Elisha McCallion.
The constituency has historically been an SDLP stronghold, with the seat previously held by political heavyweights like John Hume and then Mark Durkan.
However, in 2017, Sinn Féin had edged their way to a narrow win with Ms McCallion elected.
This time around, from early doors, there was talk of huge gains for the SDLP though and Ms McCallion congratulated her rival before the result was even confirmed.
“Keep it up,” she said, as she hugged Mr Eastwood – who went on to poll 26,881 votes, well ahead of her 9,771.
Mr Eastwood said that he was keen for Northern Ireland to “get back to work”.
“I want to especially thank the people of Derry - I think they have sent a clear message, roared that message to all of us in politics today,” Mr Eastwood said.
“We hear you loud and clear. We know you want someone to go to Westminster to fight your case, to stand up to Boris Johnson, to protect us from Brexit.
“You also want us to get back to work in Stormont. No more excuses will be accepted by the people of our city or by the people of Northern Ireland.
“Monday is an opportunity – let’s get on with it.”
Voter turnout in Foyle was 63.72%, with 47,370 votes polled.
With counting over for Northern Ireland, the DUP has returned eight MPs - down from 10 previously.
Sinn Féin has returned seven, while the SDLP will return to Westminster with two MPs having previously lost all their seats.
The Alliance Party will also have one MP. Stephen Farry was elected in Sylvia Hermon's old seat of North Down
NORTHERN IRELAND RESULTS
- North Down – Stephen Farry (Alliance)
- Strangford – Jim Shannon (DUP)
- West Tyrone – Órfhlaith Begley (Sinn Féin)
- Belfast West – Paul Maskey (Sinn Féin)
- Belfast North – John Finucane (Sinn Féin)
- Mid Ulster – Francie Molloy (Sinn Féin)
- East Londonderry – Gregory Campbell (DUP)
- Belfast East – Gavin Robinson (DUP)
- South Antrim – Paul Girvan (DUP)
- Belfast South – Claire Hanna (SDLP)
- East Antrim – Sammy Wilson (DUP)
- Foyle – Colum Eastwood (SDLP)
- Lagan Valley - Jeffrey Donaldson (DUP)
- North Antrim – Ian Paisley (DUP)
- Upper Bann – Carla Lockhart (DUP)
- South Down – Chris Hazzard (Sinn Féin)
- Newry & Armagh – Mickey Brady (Sinn Féin)
- Fermanagh & South Tyrone - Michelle Gildernew (Sinn Féin)