Prime Minister Boris Johnson says restoring the Northern Ireland Executive is his 'top priority' following a phone call with Leo Varadkar.
The two premiers spoke following the the Conservative party's biggest general election victory since 1987.
The Taoiseach congratulated Mr Johnson on his victory.
During the phone call, the Prime Minister also updated Mr Varadkar on the passage of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill which is expected to go through the Commons next week.
They said they were looking forward to meeting in person 'soon' and about the 'importance of building on the strong relationship' between both countries.
The UK is scheduled to leave the EU on January 31.
The DUP, which lost two seats in the General Election, no longer have a Confidence and Supply Agreement with the Conservatives following Boris Johnson's majority.
Veteran parliamentarian Nigel Dodds lost his Belfast North seat to Sinn Féin's John Finucane.
On Friday, DUP leader Arlene Foster told UTV that the party had been given a 'very clear message' that the public wants devolution restored.
Despite winning the Belfast North seat, Sinn Féin suffered a large drop in overall vote share across the country. In Foyle, Sinn Féin's Elisha McCallion lost the seat to SDLP leader Colum Eastwood.
There has been no Stormont Executive since January 2017.
The DUP, Sinn Féin, Ulster Unionists, SDLP and Alliance say they want an Executive restored.
A spokesman for Downing Street said Secretary of State Julian Smith will 'dedicate himself' to a talks process.