Police speak to more than 340 witnesses as part of Detective John Caldwell investigation

Police investigating the attempted murder of a senior police officer in Omagh have spoken to more than 340 witnesses and made a total of 15 arrests to date.

Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell was several times by two gunmen outside a leisure centre in the town at around 8pm on Wednesday 22 February.

The attack happened while he was putting footballs into a car with his young son after coaching a youth sports team.

In a statement, the PSNI said they are keen to speak to anyone who may have information about two blue Ford Fiestas which they believe were used during the attack.

Detective Chief Superintendent Eamonn Corrigan said: "To date, we have conducted 40 searches, seized an estimated 400,000 hours of CCTV footage, spoken to 342 witnesses and made 15 arrests."Almost three months on from this horrific attack, I would take the opportunity to reiterate our appeal to the public for any information they may have which could assist us in bringing those responsible to justice."No piece of information is too small. We remain particularly keen to establish further details about the two blue Ford Fiesta vehicles which we believe were used in the attempted murder."We previously released CCTV footage of the first vehicle as it travelled into Coalisland around 10pm on the night of the 21st. It had registration number MGZ 6242, and was fitted with false plates, FRZ 8414, prior to the attack. “Footage shows this blue Ford Fiesta leaving the sports complex and turning left onto the Killyclogher Road immediately after the shooting. We then know it travelled past Glendale Service Station to the Racolpa Road where it was abandoned and set on fire.“We have established that this first blue Ford Fiesta was purchased in Ballyclare on Wednesday 8 February and was observed travelling towards Belfast on the M2 Motorway that night.  It was next noted leaving Belfast at around 9.30pm on Tuesday 21 February  - the night before the attack on John – and travelled along the M1 Motorway into Coalisland at around 10pm."The second vehicle, a blue Ford Fiesta of a similar model, had registration number RLZ 9805 and was bought in Glengormley towards the end of January. I believe this car travelled to Belfast around this date.“It was then driven from Belfast at approximately 1pm on Wednesday 22 February – the day of the attack on John – and travelled along the M1 in the direction of Coalisland and Omagh. It was found burnt out in the Ardboe Industrial Estate the following day, Thursday 23 February."If you know where either of these cars were kept prior to the shooting or you have any knowledge of their movements on the day of the shooting, please come forward - the number to call is 101."Detective Chief Superintendent Corrigan added: “John was shot multiple times and, when he fell to the ground, the gunmen continued to fire at him. 

"This cowardly attempt to take a life took place in the midst of terrified children and parents, and, disturbingly, in front of John’s young son.  Any number of adults or children could easily have been seriously injured or killed.“I am asking you to stop and imagine, for just one second, how you would feel if this happened to your loved one. 

"And I’m asking you to search your conscience and come forward with any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem.”The Crimestoppers charity's increased reward of £150,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved in the attempted murder remains in place. The charity is completely independent from the police and can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.orgInformation, including photos, CCTV and dash-cam footage, can also be provided to police through the Major Incident Public Portal at: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/PSNI23S03-PO1

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know.