The Tropical Ravine in Belfast’s Botanic Gardens will reopen on Thursday following a £3.8m refurbishment.Read the full story ›
A council has proposed introducing a bonfire permit system, amid increasing controversy over the size, siting and content of some displays.Read the full story ›
The head of the NI civil service has said he now feels he should have asked Arlene Foster not to go ahead with the flawed RHI scheme.Read the full story ›
Homeowners and farmers are among those still dealing with the aftermath of flash flooding in the North West six months on.Read the full story ›
A number of families have been forced to leave their homes in Derry’s Bogside because they have been over-run by rats.Read the full story ›
Plastic packaging weighing more than the equivalent of 3.3 million emperor penguins will be thrown away this Christmas, campaigners warn.Read the full story ›
The Canadian mining company Dalradian is aiming to create hundreds of jobs at a gold mine near Gortin in Co Tyrone.
It's a billion-dollar project, but first it has to get planning permission.
However if it does get the green light then the mine would be operational for at least 20 years, as Mark McFadden reports.
Work is to begin on a dual carriageway that passes a protected swan habitat after an environmentalist lost a bid to block the development.Read the full story ›
The top civil servant who gave the go-ahead for a vast waste incinerator at the Hightown Quarry outside Belfast says he's taken the decision in the public interest.
Peter May, the permanent secretary at the Department for Infrastructure, has been criticised by most of the political parties for giving the green light to the controversial project without a minister in position.
He has been speaking to our Deputy Political Editor Tracey Magee.
Campaigners opposed to a controversial waste incinerator in north Belfast are now considering legal action.
A meeting was held on Wednesday night after plans to build the facility were given the green light.
There had been a long-running campaign by residents near Hightown Quarry against the application, but following a report by the Planning Appeals Commission, the Department of Infrastructure has now said the incinerator can go ahead.
Two years ago the then-environment minister, the SDLP's Mark H Durkan, turned down the proposal.
The department has received more than 4,000 objection letters to the plans.
Residents have listed concerns about the visual impact on the environment, light and noise pollution and health implications among their objections.
Colin Buick, chair of the NoArc21 campaign group, said residents were angry at the way the announcement was made.
“We’ve just had to rip up the agenda for this committee meeting and it’s basically a one item agenda. We’ve been looking to see where we are going, future plans and developments, and it will be along the lines of where we go to pursue this and that will probably be a legal avenue.”
“A judicial review is probably the lines we go down. How we fund that, and taking that forward, is a matter for our committee and the local 4,000 objectors” he added.