Wednesday's League Cup action (16/11/2016)

Action from Wednesday's League Cup matches.

Live updates

Kane sees Coleraine through after shoot-out

Coleraine's Jordan Allan (centre) celebrates after scoring against Crusaders. Credit: Presseye
  • Coleraine 5-4 Crusaders

Lyndon Kane was the match winning hero for Coleraine as they defeated Crusaders 5-4 on penalties at the Showgrounds.

Kane, who had missed a penalty against the Crues earlier in the season, kept his nerve seal the win for the Bannsiders.

Both sides failed to find the target in normal time, Coleraine finally getting their noses in front on 104 minutes through Jordan Allen.

But the Crues battled back and it was all to play for again when Jack Smith made it 1-1 on 113 minutes.

Coleraine had a great chance to seal the win from penalty spot without the dreaded shoot-out, but Neil McCafferty failed to put it away.

In the end it was left to Kane to see Oran Kearney's men over the line.

In the shoot-out McCafferty, McLaughlin, McCauley, Allan and Kane all scored while Clarke, Gault, Cushley and Mitchell were on target for the Crues.

Ballymena through after away win at Warrenpoint

Cathair Friel sealed the win on Wednesday for Ballymena. Credit: Pacemaker
  • Warrenpoint 0-2 Ballymena

Ballymena booked their place in the semi-finals of the League Cup with a 2-0 win over Warrenpoint Town at Milltown on Wednesday night.

United were on song from the start with Darren Henderson forcing the home keeper into an early save.

Town's hopes took a blow on 36 minutes when they were reduced to ten men with Liam Bagnal seeing red for a rash challenge on Jim Ervin.

Ballymena remained on top but lacked a cutting edge from the chances created as the first half ended scoreless.

Warrenpoint had a chance to edge ahead early after the restart with Conor McMenamin just failing to hit the target.

After Leroy Millar missed at the other end the breakthrough finally came when Willie Faulkner slotted the ball between the keeper's legs to put United ahead on 70 minutes.

With 15 minutes to go United sealed the win after Cathair Friel grabbed his 15th goal of the season.


Carrick Rangers see off Swifts

  • Carrick Rangers 2-0 Dungannon Swifts

Carrick Rangers put their poor league form behind them to secure a 2-0 win over Dungannon Swifts at Taylor's Avenue on Wednesday.

Stephen McCullough set them on their way on 24 minutes, his looping header beating keeper Stuart Addis.

The home side had to wait until nine minutes from the end to make sure of the win with Daniel Kelly ending his run into the box with a nice finish under the Swifts keeper.

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports