Friday and Saturday's Irish League action

Follow all the action from Saturday's league clashes and catch up on Friday's results.

Live updates

Glentoran let two-goal lead slip as Dungannon draw

Dungannon went sixth following the draw. Credit: Pacemaker

Glentoran 2-2 Dungannon Swifts

Glentoran let slip a two-goal lead as Dungannon Swifts fought back to earn a 2-2 draw at the Oval on Saturday.

The Glens went in front after 27 minutes when Curtis Allen steered a deft lob over the head of Swifts stopper Andrew Coleman, and five minutes later Jamie Ferrin headed home from Ciaran Caldwell's corner to make it 2-0.

Andrew Mitchell pulled one back for the visitors five minutes into the second half after being played in by Jamie Glackin, and added his second of the afternoon with a close-range finish in the 66th minute to ensure a share of the points.

The result sees Glentoran drop to ninth in the league table, while Dungannon move up to sixth.

Coleraine end their four-game winless run

Brad Llyons in action. Credit: Press Eye

Coleraine brought their four-game winless streak to an end after securing a 2-0 victory over Carrick Rangers at the Coleraine Showgrounds.

Jamie McGonigle grabbed the opening goal of the game when he sent a glancing header past Brian Neeson after 31 minutes.

McGonigle had the final say when he found the net in stoppage time for his second goal of the afternoon.

The result sees the Bannsiders remain five points behind fourth-placed Ballymena United, while Carrick remain second from bottom.


Linfield close the gap with win at Seaview

Aaron Burns celebrates after he fires the Blues into a 1-0 lead. Credit: Press Eye

Crusaders 1-2 Linfield

Linfield narrowed the gap on Premiership title rivals Crusaders to four points after securing a 2-1 victory over the defending champions at Seaview on Saturday.

Aaron Burns opened the scoring or the visitors in the 34th minute with a superb individual effort that saw him beat three Crues defenders en route to goal, before a mix-up in defence five minutes later saw Andy Waterworth fire past Sean O'Neill.

Linfield went down to ten men when captain Jamie Mulgrew was sent off following a fracas near the dug-outs which also saw Blues boss David Healy receive his marching orders.

Jordan Owens headed home with fifteen minutes left to set up a grandstand finish, but Linfield held on for a deserved win.

Mallards beat Ports while Glenavon and Cliftonville draw

Ballinamallard went down to 10 men early on, but still managed a win over basement side Portadown. Credit: Presseye

Ballinamallard United won the crunch clash with bottom of the table Portadown 1-0 at Ferny Park on Friday night.

The result sees the Mallards move onto 18 points, 15 ahead of the Ports.

The home side had to play most of the game with 10 men but withstood all the pressure especially in the latter stages to clinch a vital win.

United keeper Cameron Crawford prevented Stephen Hughes from giving the visitors an early lead with a smart save and then at the other end Joshua McIlwaine failed to hit the target when in a good position.

With half an hour gone the Mallards suffered a blow when they were reduced to 10 men with Ross Taheny sent off for his challenge on Aaron Haire.

However, it was Ballinamallard who took the lead on 36 minutes when Ryan Mayse cut inside from the left and Philip Leckey rushed in to drive a low shot in off the right hand post.

That was to prove the difference between the sides as Portadown were unable to make the extra man count.

Adam Lecky celebrates with his Ballinamallard teammates. Credit: Presseye

Cliftonville came from two goals down to earn a point in a highly entertaining 2-2 draw with Glenavon at Mourneview Park on Friday night.

In the end it will be Gary Hamilton's side who will feel they missed out on all three points after dominating the second half but they were unable to make their possession count.

Cliftonville almost took the lead when Stephen Garrett saw his shot pushed onto the post by home keeper Jonny Tuffey.

Two goals in four minutes put Glenavon in command.

The first came after a mistake by keeper Peter Burke with a poor clearance and Guy Bates rounded him to slot into the empty net on 12 minutes.

Andy McGrory made it 2-0 three minutes later when he gambled on a flick into the box and things for looking good for the Lurgan Blues.

The Reds were right back in it on 22 minutes when a delightful move cut the home defence open as Martin Donnelly crossed for David McDaid who drove the ball high into the net.

An entertaining first half was to end level at 2-2 when Stephen Garrett heading home a superb cross from James Knowles.

Glenavon enjoyed long spells of possession in the second half and went close but Guy Bates, Ciaran Martyn and Mark Patton but they could not find the net.

The Reds always looked dangerous on the counter but it was Glenavon with the final chance of the night with man of the match Bates just failing to get the final touch from Rhys Marshall’s delivery.

Glenavon's Guy Bates in action with Cliftonville's Jamie McGovern. Credit: Presseye
Back to top

Latest ITV News reports