Irish Cup action

Action from Saturday's Irish Cup games (07/01/2017).

Live updates

Penalty drama as Ballymena beat Cliftonville

Credit: Presseye
  • Ballymena Utd 4-3 Cliftonville

Ballymena United needed penalties to see off Cliftonville in their Irish Cup fifth Round tie at the Ballymena Showgrounds on Saturday.

Tony Kane opened the scoring for the Sky Blues with a superb dipping free kick in the third minute, but Ross Lavery struck with a header in the 37th minute.

With neither side able to make a further breakthrough after extra time the game went to penalties.

Ballymena stoopper Ross Glendinning saved twice during the shootout, before Allan Jenkins scored the decisive spot kick to set up a trip to Harland and Wolff Welders in the next round.

Credit: Presseye

Crues to face PSNI after Ards win

Crusaders' Michael Carville celebrates after he squeezes his shot past Aaron Hogg to make the score 2-0.
  • Crusaders 2-0 Ards

Crusaders will play PSNI in the next round of the Irish Cup after they earned a 2-0 victory over Ards in Saturday’s fifth round game at Seaview.

Ards defender Emmet Friars was left to curse his luck after he turned the ball into his own net to give Stephen Baxter's side the lead after 20 minutes.

It marked the second time in a four day spell that Friars netted an own goal against the Premiership leaders, having also put into his own net during his side's 4-2 league defeat to the same opposition.

Michael Carville added a second in the 35th minute to wrap up the victory for his side.


Bannsiders cruise past Carrick

Man of the Match Coleraine's Eoin Bradley with the match ball.
  • Coleraine 5-1 Carrick Rangers

Coleraine made light work of Carrick Rangers to progress to the last sixteen of the Irish Cup after a resounding 5-1 victory at the Coleraine Showgrounds.

Eoin Bradley announced his return to the club with a goal after just two minutes, having been signed back by the Bannsiders following a spell with Glenavon, before Jorden Allen added a second from the penalty spot.

Allan added his second of the afternoon to maske it 3-0 by the 26th minute, before Carrick rallied briefly when Neil McCafferty turned the ball into his own net.

the respite proved to be short-lived as Bradley added a further two goals to complete his hat-trick and set up a meeting with Tobermore Utd in the sixth round.

Blues beat Glens in extra time

Linfield's Ross Gaynor celebrates after teammate Andrew Waterworth scores in extra time to make it 1-2. Credit: Presseye
  • Glentoran 1-2 Linfield

Linfield face an Irish Cup sixth round visit to Institute after they secured a narrow 2-1 victory over Belfast rivals Glentoran after extra time.

The hosts opened the scoring at the Oval in the 16th minute when Curtis Allen found the net from the edge of the area, but Linfield rallied and drew level when Steven Lowry volleyed home in the second half.

David Healy's side got their noses in front early in extra time when Andrew Waterworth turned the ball home at the near post.

Glentoran pushed for the goal which would have drawn the sides level, but Linfield held on to book their place in the last 16.

Ten man Portadown beat Larne

Portadown's Stephen Hughes celebrates his goal during Saturday's game at Inver Park, Larne. Credit: Pacemaker

Portadown survived a nervous finish to beat Larne 2-1 at Inver Park.

The Ports were reduced to ten men in the second half when Stephen Hughes was sent off after picking up a second yellow.

New signing Adam Foley had given the Ports the lead before Stephen Hughes doubled the advantage on 42 minutes.

There was still time left in the first half for Larne to claw their way back into the game when James McCabe reduced the deficit.

However, Larne could not find another way through and the visitors secured their place in the next round.

Tobermore United came away from Annagh United with a 2-0 win.

Stephen Lamont gave the visitors the lead at the break and their place in the sixth round was secured on the hour mark by Ryan Winton.

Institute came out on top after a six goal thriller at Ballyclare Comrades - edging home 4-2.

The visitors raced into a two goal lead with goals from Michael McCrudden and Stephen Curry, but it was all square again at 2-2 with Sammy McIlveen and Corey McMullan on target.

Curry fired Institute ahead again while McCrudden also bagged a brace to make the final score 4-2.


Back to top

Latest ITV News reports