Irish Premiership Action 23/09/17

Action from Saturday's Irish Premiership games.

Live updates

Glenavon third after beating Ards

Glenavon's Mark Sykes scores his second goal at Mourneview Park, Lurgan. Credit: Pacemaker
  • Glenavon 3-0 Ards

Ards fell behind in the first quarter-of-an-hour - Mark Sykes with a neat finish, which he slid beyond the grasp of Ards goalkeeper Aaron Hogg.

It was Sykes' first goal for the Lurgan Blues since scoring against Ballinamallard in February.

Things got worse for the north Down men - and this time it was self-inflicted as Glenavon went 2-0 up before the break - courtesy of a Johny Taylor own-goal.

It was the worst possible start to the second half for Ards, Sykes running through the home defence with ease, and slotting his second of the match home to put Glenavon 3-0 up.

Glenavon came close to a fourth goal late on - Sammy Clingan's free-kick in but Foley headed wide.

The result takes Glenavon up to third.

Crues and Dungannon draw at Seaview

Crusaders' Jordan Owens scores a goal during Saturday's game at Seaview in Belfast. Credit: Pacemaker
  • Crusaders 1-1 Dungannon

Crusaders and Dungannon ended all square at Seaview.

It was a quiet affair in the first half, with chances at a premium.

Jordan Owens came close on 35 minutes for the Crues, but blasted wide from close-range.

Just before the interval, there was a dangerous ball in from Glackin which found the head of Owens at back post - but goalkeeper Stuart Addis collected the header comfortably.

In the early stages of the second half, the slumbersome pace to the match continued.

Dungannon did try and test Crues goalkeeper Brian Jensen from distance, but the Danish goalkeeper collected with ease Burke's 30-yard effort.

The Crues did break the deadlock however, Jordan Owens getting the better of Addis finally.

However the frustration continued - Crusaders could only keep the lead for a minute-and-a-half.

Chris Heggarty headed home - his third goal in three games.

The Crues came close again late on - Declan Caddell's great ball finding Jordan Owens, but again Addis denied him with a great save.

Baxter's side continued to press for a winner but it didn't come as Dungannon held out.


Visitors Ballymena beat Ballinamallard

  • Ballinamallard 1-3 Ballymena

Ballymena took the lead on the quarter-hour mark - and a fine goal too.

Leroy Millar unloaded a superb volley, which nestled in the bottom corner of the Ballinamallard net.

It made it two goals in two matches for Millar.

On 21 minutes, David Jeffrey's side went two-up.

Anthony Kane with a great finish from the penalty spot leaving Ballinamallard goalkeeper Brush with no chance.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Kane made it 13 consecutive successful spot-kicks with the effort for Ballymena.

Kane almost made it three early in the second half, but the Ballinamallard defence scrambled to block the effort, and avert the danger.

It was 3-0 soon after though as Ballymena cruised through the gears - with a delicate flicked header into the corner of the goal.

The home side pulled one back - Josh McIlwaine with the header beyond Ballymena goalkeeper Conor Brennan.

Gormley puts Reds ahead of Carrick Rangers

Credit: Pacemaker
  • Carrick Rangers 1-2 Cliftonville

Carrick took the lead inside the first few minutes - Eamonn McAllister's corner going straight into the net.

The Reds defenders were left baffled as to how the ball ended up in the net.

Cliftonville came close to levelling on 14 minutes - Rory Donnelly cross-come-shot went over the goalkeeper's head, but rebounded back off the woodwork.

It took into the second half, and an hour played in fact, before Cliftonville levelled - Joe Gormley with his fifth league goal of the season, a cool run complimented by an equally composed finish.

The north Belfast side then went ahead - Gormley again the man on hand - scoring from the penalty spot to make it 2-1.

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports