Irish Premiership action (20/01/18)

Irish Premiership action (20/01/18)

Carrick Rangers v Glentoran postponed after pitch inspection.

Live updates

Ards clinch narrow victory against Ballymena Utd

Ards clinched a narrow 1-0 success against Ballymena United.

Ards took the advantage in the first half when Reece Glendinning scored beyond Ballymena goalkeeper Ross Glendinning.

Ballymena had a claim for a penalty turned away in the second half, when Matthew Shevlin went down in the box, but the referee waved those away.


Late goals see Cliftonville beat Dungannon 3-0

Cliftonville’s Ross Lavery pictured after scoring his teams first goal during Saturday's game at Solitude in Belfast. Credit: Pacemaker

Cliftonville scored two late goals to come home handsomely against Dungannon Swifts 3-0.

Joe Gormley came close for the Reds, as he picked up the ball on the edge of the box, but he drilled his 13th minute effort just wide.

Ryan Harpur had the best chance for the Swifts in the first 45 minutes, but he hit the ball straight at goalkeeper Brian Neeson when one-on-one.

Gormley thought he'd broken the deadlock early in the second period but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The home side broke through to take the lead, Ross Lavery scoring. The Reds doubled that advantage when Barry Gray's side scored a wonderful curing effort from Jay Donnelly from the edge of the box into the net.

And Cliftonville added another in the 94th minute - Stephen Garrett scoring. Further salt was rubbed into the wound by Heggarty's own goal.

Glenavon beat Linfield at Windsor Park

Glenavon’s Simon Kelly after Saturday's game at Windsor Park in Belfast Credit: Pacemaker

Glenavon came away from Windsor Park with a 3-2 victory over Linfield in a entertaining game.

The Blues took the lead after just two minutes, Kurtis Byrne with an accurate volley into the bottom corner.

But on seven minutes it was 1-1, Simon Kelly heading home past Roy Carroll from a Bobby Burns corner.

That was Kelly's first league goal for Glenavon for over a year.

On 48 minutes there was confusion in David Healy's side's penalty area.

The Blues couldn't avert the danger, and Andy Mitchell forced the ball home to make it 2-1.

The Lurgan Blues netted a late third when Marc Griffin scored, profiting from great work on the flank from Murray.

Andy Waterworth pulled back a consolation for the Blues.

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports