Michael Gallagher, whose son Aiden was killed in the 1998 Omagh bomb, has described the ruling of the European Court against two men found liable over the atrocity as “vindication” for the families.
A complaint by Michael McKevitt and Liam Campbell, who were previously ordered to pay £1.6m in damages to bereaved relatives, has been dismissed.
They had tried to claim that their trial was unfair – an allegation refuted by the European Court.
“We feel like we have been under siege since the first judgment, with appeal after appeal,” Mr Gallagher said, following Thursday’s verdict.
“We are relieved it is now over.”
The European Court made clear that its decision was final and Mr Gallagher has now said the authorities must held bereaved families recover the money owed to them.
Mr Gallagher added: “It would be a very hollow judgment if it was only words.”
“These people value money and it’s where it can hurt them and both governments must work together to make sure the families receive the money that was awarded to them.”
Mr Gallagher also made it clear that the bereaved relatives would continue to campaign for a full cross-border inquiry into the Omagh bombing, amid persistent claims the outrage could have been prevented.