1. ITV Report

Missing woman Catherine Gowing: Clive Sharp remanded in custody accused of murder

46-year-old Clive Sharp has been charged with Catherine Gowing's murder Photo: North Wales Police

The 46-year-old man charged with the murder of missing vet Catherine Gowing has been remanded in custody pending a further court hearing.

Clive Sharp told the court he was of no fixed abode, but is believed to have had an address at the Coed y Parc Industrial Estate in Bethesda in Gwynedd, North Wales.

He made his appearance at a special weekend sitting of Flintshire Magistrates’ Court at Mold this morning.

Prosecutor Huw Evans applied for a remand in custody.

Gwyn Jones, defending, said that he would not apply for bail, which was an issue to be decided by a crown court judge.

Magistrates chairman David Tapp remanded Sharp in custody to appear before Judge Merfyn Hughes QC at Caernarfon Crown Court on Tuesday, initially so that the issue of bail can be considered.

A preliminary hearing and then a plea and directions hearing will be held in future weeks when he will eventually be asked to enter a plea.

At a press conference on Friday Karen Dixon, District Crown Prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service in Wales confirmed the charge.

The last known sighting of the 37-year-old was when she left Asda supermarket in Queensferry on Friday evening.

She failed to make an appointment over the weekend but police weren't notified until Ms Gowing failed to turn up for work at Evans Veterinary Practice in Mold on Monday morning.

North Wales Police have confirmed a burnt-out car found on Friday close to a disused quarry at Alltami, less than two miles from her home, belonged to Miss Gowing.

An extensive search of the area around the quarry and its pool is being carried out by specialist police teams including divers.

Det Supt John Hanson has appeal for anyone who was in and around the area of the quarry in Pinfold Lane last weekend to come forward and says the search will continue throughout the weekend.

Detective Superintendent John Hanson, who is leading the investigation for North Wales Police, renewed his appeal for witnesses.

He said anyone who was in and around the area of the disused quarry at any time last weekend should come forward with any information they may have.

He added: "We will do all that is conceivably possible to find Catherine and return her to her family.

"That remains our priority.

"Catherine's family are still in North Wales and are being supported by family liaison officers."

Earlier Mr Hanson said there were "extensive" police resources dedicated to the search for Ms Gowing and forensic examination of her car.

Police dog teams and underwater search officers were involved, he said.

He also said specialist search teams were examining two other locations in North Wales which have not been identified.

Police officers have been scouring CCTV as they establish the vet's movements.

Police said she missed a weekend appointment but the alarm was not raised until Monday morning when she failed to arrive at work.

Ms Gowing, who is originally from Clonlee, Co Offaly, in the Irish Republic, had worked at Evans Veterinary Practice in Mold for the last 18 months.

Practice owner David Evans described her as a "very caring, dear person".

More on this story