1. ITV Report

A sporting roundup

Swansea City's Ben Davies and Manchester City's Carlos Tevez battle for the ball Photo: Martin Rickett/PA Wire/Press Association Images

It's been a full weekend of sporting action for the Welsh teams.

Premier League: Manchester City 1 - 0 Swansea City

Swansea City managed to hold their own against Premiership giants Manchester City at the Ethiad stadium in Saturday's early evening kick off.

The two teams effectively cancelled each other out in a first half that must rank as one of the least entertaining 45-minute spells seen by Mancini's men at their Manchester home.

The half-time whistle led to boos from some City fans after their side's uninspired display but they looked a different proposition immediately after the break.

On the 61 minute Argentinian striker, Carlos Tevez, struck from 20 yards out to seal the points for Manchester City.

Swansea's Michu had the games best chances, one in each half, but was denied each time by home keeper Joe Hart.

This match was the longest Premier league match ever after 12 minutes of injury time was added.

It followed lengthy stoppage time following injuries to Swansea goal keeper Michel Vorm and Man City full-back Micah Richards.

Following the match Swans manager Michael Laudrup confirmed Vorm will be out for four to six weeks after suffering a groin injury

But Laudrup was full of praise for his side despite the losing score line.

I really think, coming here, playing against the Champions away, when they only create one clear chance in 90 minutes and you create two or three, you can think you deserve a little more.

The great teams just take those few chances and convert them into goals. I want to only see the positive things today because there are so many. "

– Michael Laudrup, Swansea City Manager

Championship: Cardiff 4 - 0 Burnley

Cardiff City return to the top of the npower Championship following their emphatic 4 -0 win against Burnley.

The win also saw the Bluebird extend their home record of seven consecutive wins at home at the start of a season. Joe Mason, Craig Noone, Matt Connolly and Aron Gunnarsson all scored as the Welsh club notched up their biggest win in just over two years.

Cardiff caught Burnley cold on a chilly afternoon with Mason's opener in the third minute. Noone crashed a shot against Lee Grant's right-hand post and Mason, making only his third league start of the season, followed up to slot home.

Cardiff increased their advantage four minutes before the interval courtesy of Noone, whose 25-yard drive was weakly handled by Grant as the ball bounced over the line.

Mackay's men added two more goals in the second half as Connolly headed home Peter Whittingham's corner before substitute Gunnarsson rounded off the scoring by latching on to Rudy Gestede's knockdown to beat Grant.

Speaking at the Cardiff City Stadium after his side's dazzling performance manager Malky Mackay refused to get carried away.

I'm delighted that after 12 games we're in and around what is going on.

But I'm acutely aware how relentless and unforgiving this league is as well as how quickly your squad can be decimated by injuries.

We have had some injuries in the form of Nicky Maynard, Craig Bellamy, Jordon Mutch and Tommy Smith. But other players have come in and grabbed the jerseys."

– Malky Mackay, Cardiff City Manager

Blue Square Bet Premier: Newport County 2 - 3 Woking **

Newport County had suffered their first home defeat of the season as they went down 2 - 3 to Woking.

Kevin Betsy's first half double secured the points for the visitors.

It fell to Andy Sandell's free-kick to drag the hosts back into the game.

The home side then narrowed the deficit thanks to Michael Flynn's header from close range but it proved too little to late.

Newport County, however, remain at the top of the Blue Square Bet Premier table.

RaboDirect Pro 12: Leinster 59 - 22 Cardiff Blues

Cardiff Blues suffered their heaviest defeat of the season after being mauled by Leinster in a nine-try romp at the RDS in Dublin.

Within the first 40 minutes the Irish side had already secured a crushing victory as the score notched up to 40 points to 3.

But it wasn't all good news for Leinster as captain Brian O'Driscoll was forced off midway through the opening half due to injury.

The Irish side hardly missed him, however, as they racked up the quickest bonus point of this season's RaboDirect PRO12 after just 26 minutes.

Throughout, an unrelenting Leinster continued to look explosive in attack against a sluggish Cardiff defence.

An abject Cardiff side only replied through a Leigh Halfpenny penalty and their Wales stars were otherwise anonymous until Alex Cuthbert, Halfpenny and Tom James finished off second-half tries.

RaboDirect Pro 12: Ospreys 26 - 9 Connacht

The Ospreys were the only side to manage a convincing win of all the Welsh region this weekend in the RaboDirect Pro 12 this weekend.

Ospreys completed a comfortable bonus-point victory over Connacht in the RaboDirect PRO12 at the Liberty Stadium.

It was the region's fourth straight league win with tries coming from wing Eli Walker, flanker Justin Tipuric, number eight Jonathan Thomas and scrum-half Kahn Fotuali'i. Dan Biggar kicked three conversions.All Connacht could manage were three Dan Parks penalties.

As the half time whistle blew the Ospreys lead by 6 points but within the first two minutes of the second half the homeside opened up a 13-point when Thomas picked off Parks' pass and ran in unopposed from 30 metres out, and Biggar converted.

Connacht did cut the deficit to 10 points as Parks converted his third penalty in the 52nd minute.

Despite leading throughout as time elapsed the Ospreys struggled to get close to grabbing the bonus-point try.

That try, however, came eight minutes from time when Fotuali'i went over from a tapped penalty after a collapsed five-metre scrum by Connacht. Biggar put over his third conversion as the Ospreys extended their lead to 17 points.

RaboDirect Pro 12: Dragons 19 - 46 Ulster

Top of the table Ulster kept up their charge by overpowering Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade.

The Irish province made it eight wins from eight this season to pile the misery on the struggling Dragons.

The visitors ran in six tries and South African ace Ruan Pienaar, who scored one of them, added 18 points with the boot for a comprehensive win.

The Dragons made a sharp start and led 6-0 thanks to a brace of early penalties by full-back Tom Prydie.

However, the leaders struck back on 16 minutes when Ruan Pienaar made a break inside the hosts' 22 and offloaded for Ireland prop Tom Court to go under the posts, making the South African's conversion an easy one.

An entertaining half then swung back the Dragons' way thanks to a converted try by Samoan centre Andy Tuilagi, then back to Ulster with number eight Nick Williams' close range score.

Prydie slotted a penalty to inch the hosts back in front only to then see his clearance charged down by Pienaar, who dived on the ball over the line for Ulster's third try.

He was wide with the conversion, just as he had been with a pair of penalty attempts, and the leaders had to be content with a 19-16 lead at the break.

However, Pienaar made no mistake from the tee when he slotted over a pair of early penalties after the restart to one from Prydie.

And it was all over entering the final quarter thanks to tries by centre Darren Cave, from close in, and wing Andrew Trimble, who intercepted on halfway before dashing between the posts.

Pienaar converted both for a 39-19 lead before replacement centre

RaboDirect Pro 12: Edinburgh 28 - 29 Scarlets

Scarlets consolidated their place in second spot of the table by taking all five points from a tense encounter at Murrayfield.

The outcome hung in the balance until the final whistle but a late penalty by Rhys Priestland proved to be the killer blow, inflicting further misery on the Scots who have now lost four successive league fixtures and six matches on the trot in all competitions.

The home side had a try from Tim Visser and a string of kicks by man of the match Harry Leonard to thank for their points, while George North touched down twice for Scarlets and was joined on the scoresheet by Nick Reynolds and Gareth Davies, with Aled Thomas landing three conversions and Priestland booting the vital three-pointer.

Edinburgh drew first blood when Visser powered through two tacklers to touch down between the posts and leave Leonard with a straightforward conversion.

The home side's recent defensive record has been dismal and the frailty in that department was exposed when right wing North appeared on the left flank to blast his way over. Thomas thumped over the touchline conversion to draw the Welshmen level.

Leonard stroked over a penalty to edge Edinburgh back into the lead, but the Scarlets again profited from weak Edinburgh defending to move ahead.

Davies did the damage when he picked up at a scrum 40 metres out and ran through a weak tackle then offloaded to Reynolds who swept between two defenders and plunged over, with Thomas again converting.

Two penalties from Leonard - the first a long range effort - edged the hosts into a two point advantage.

But the Scots again hit the self destruct button and North took full advantage, swatting off Stuart McInally and forcing his way over at the corner.

Leonard squared matters when he kicked a fourth penalty.

With 40 minutes on the clock a Scarlets attack appeared to have been thwarted when Rennie won turnover ball a metre short of his line.

Leonard failed to control the ball as it popped into his hands and Davies reacted quickest to bag try number four.

Thomas thumped over the conversion to leave Scarlets 26-19 ahead at half-time.

Leonard suffered his first miss shortly after the restart but regained his range to trim the deficit to four points with his next effort, minutes after Davies had been despatched to the sin bin after reacting angrily following a difference of opinion with Greig Tonks.

The home stand off cut the gap to a single point with his next effort then banged over his seventh kick from the left flank to ease the home side in front.

Scarlets responded with another assault on the Edinburgh line but the home defence was equal to the task.

The visitors' pressure paid off in the form of a penalty in front of the posts with two minutes left on the clock.

And Priestland was cast in the role of match winner when he stroked over the kick to inflict the latest defeat on a beleaguered Edinburgh side.