Two men admit manslaughter of grandad outside Valleys pub

Two men have admitted the mansaughter of a 42-year-old scaffolder outside in pub.

Dean Doggett and Jamie Leyshon, both 26, had been on trial for two weeks for the murder of Wayne Letherby outside the De Winton pub in Tonypandy, Rhondda.

The pair changed their pleas today to admit the manslaughter and are due to be sentenced next week.

Police at the scene of murder in Tonypandy in April. Credit: ITV Wales News

Prosecutor Paul Lewis QC told Cardiff Crown Court that Mr Letherby, a grandfather, was the victim of a "vicious assault" before he died from a tear in an artery to his brain.

Forensics at the scene in Tonypandy. Credit: ITV Wales News

He added the decision to accept guilty pleas to the alternative manslaughter charge had been discussed with the victim's family and investigating officers.

Dean Doggett, of Mynydd yr Eos, Tonypandy, denied murder and violent disorder and admitted manslaughter. The charge of violent disorder will lie on file.

Jamie Leyshon, of Ty Gwyn Road, Penygraig, denied murder but admitted manslaughter and violent disorder.

A third person Kylie Thomas, 25, of Penygraig, denied murder and admitted violent disorder.

More: Family of 'murdered' grandad pay tribute

Mr Lewis said: "We do not seek further trial of the female defendant. She is effectively a young woman of good character."

He added: "We bear in mind that she was not involved in the events inside the pub or there at the outbreak of the violence outside.

"She has pleaded guilty to violent disorder which reflects her part."

The jury was directed to find Doggett and Leyshon not guilty of murder and guilty of manslaughter based on their admissions.

Mrs Justice Nicola Davies DBE indicated the defendants will be sentenced on Tuesday.

Commenting upon the guilty please Detective Chief Inspector Ceri Hughes said: "Wayne Letherby was a hard working and much loved father, husband, grandfather, brother and son.

"Whilst his family remains devastated by his loss, and the circumstances in which he died, they have shown patience and dignity through this terrible ordeal.

"We have worked closely with Wayne's family to support them during this difficult time. Although nothing can compensate for their loss, I hope that they can find some solace from today's guilty pleas and that it helps them move forward with their lives.

"I would like to thank all the witnesses who came forward in this case. Their evidence has been crucial in securing these guilty pleas.

"I would also like to thank members of the local community in Tonypandy for their help and patience whilst we carried out our inquiries."