Customer who ordered 'gluten-free' meal was served 80 times maximum level

A diner was hit with a severe allergic reaction after a restaurant served him a "gluten-free" meal - with 80 times the maximum levels of gluten.

The customer became ill with chronic abdominal pain after ordering the special gluten-free meal from the restaurant.

Trading Standards staff went to the Vietnam restaurant in Uplands, Swansea, to buy the same meals for tests.

Checks found 80 times the permitted maximum levels.

Restaurant owner Manh Van Vo was fined £1,200 and ordered to pay costs of £828.

Vo pleaded guilty to two offences contrary to the Food Information (Wales) Regulations 2014 at Swansea Magistrates' Court.

Councillor Mark Child, cabinet member for wellbeing and healthy city, said: "Consumers who eat out or purchase a takeaway need to have the confidence that they are not being put at risk as a direct result of allergenic ingredients such as gluten.

"To advertise meals as gluten-free and not be fully aware of the ingredients in the meal is unacceptable and can put consumers at risk.

"Hopefully the penalty issued to the restaurant owner will send out a message to others that they need to be more responsible and have a better understanding of the food they are serving."