The family of Carl Sargeant has criticised the Welsh First Minister's decision to ask a top official to begin setting up an independent inquiry to examine his handling of the case.
Carwyn Jones believes a senior QC should carry out work to examine his "actions and decisions" in relation to the former assembly member, who was found dead on Tuesday.
But Mr Sargeant's family said the decision to ask the Permanent Secretary to begin preparatory work means the probe will not be truly independent.
Mr Sargeant, 49, is understood to have taken his own life four days after being removed from his role as cabinet secretary for communities and children and suspended from the Labour party over allegations of "unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping".
A spokesman for the First Minister said Mr Jones agrees there should be an independent inquiry, and that "it would be proper to ask a senior QC to lead that work."
Mr Jones had been under mounting pressure to launch an independent inquiry, with Mr Sargeant's family adding to the criticism shortly before the First Minister's announcement.
Mr Sargeant's family said there had been "serious failings" in the way the situation was handled.
In a statement released through solicitors, Mr Sargeant's family said an inquest into his death would not be able to establish the full picture.