1. ITV Report

'One in a million' patient shocked 14 times with defibrillator during heart attack

Paramedics have described a man as 'one in a million' after he was shocked 14 times with a defibrillator after suffering a heart attack.

Keith Llowarch from Mancot, Flintshire woke up at home one morning experiencing chest pains, but initially didn’t realise what was happening to him.

Credit: Welsh Ambulance Service

As his pain grew worse, his partner Suzanne Jones took the decision to call 999.

Welsh ambulance crew members responded to the call.

I remember when we arrived Keith was quite pale and clammy, so we carried out observations and performed an electrocardiogram (ECG) to check his heart rate. We believed he was having a heart attack so called for back-up and that’s when Gareth arrived.

I’ve had patients where we’ve had to give maybe eight shocks before but never that many, Keith is definitely one in a million.

– Stephen Andrew, Welsh Ambulance Service

Paramedic Gareth Roberts attended in a rapid response car in order to provide assistance.

When I got there we gave Keith some pain relief and were originally planning to take him to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

We were about to go on our way when he went into cardiac arrest and we had to use a defibrillator to shock him.

I think we’d got as far as Queensferry when he went into cardiac arrest two or three more times and I told my colleagues to go to the Countess of Chester instead.

– Gareth Roberts, Clinical Team Leader, Dobshill Area Ambulance Centre
Keith had to be shocked 14 times to gain normal heart rhythm.

Keith had to be shocked 14 times to restore his heart to a normal rhythm.

Keith met with those who came to his aid to thank them in person. Credit: Welsh Ambulance Service

He was admitted to the Countess of Chester on December 12th before being transferred to Broadgreen Hospital in Liverpool. He underwent a double coronary artery bypass to divert blood around any narrowed or blocked parts of major arteries to improve the flow of blood and oxygen to his heart.

Credit: Welsh Ambulance Service

Keith was discharged from hospital on December 19th and this week met with those who came to his aid to thank them in person.

The service I had was absolutely fantastic and I’m just incredibly thankful to everyone who helped me. I’ve no doubt that I wouldn’t still be here if it wasn’t for them.

It was unbelievably quick, everyone thought I was going to be in hospital over Christmas, but it was a very welcome shock that I wasn’t.

I’m feeling much better now and I’ve been completely discharged from Broadgreen, I’ve just got to go for a few more appointments at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

– Keith Llowarch