1. ITV Report

Man jailed for murder after 'brutal' and 'violent' knife attack on Christmas partygoer

David Wynne was on his way home from a night out Credit: South Wales Police

A man who brutally stabbed a Christmas partygoer in Swansea City Centre following a brief confrontation, has been sentenced for murder.

Kyle Dunbar launched the violent attack on David Wynne as he made his way home from a Christmas party on December 23rd 2017.

The two crossed paths minutes earlier on High Street, when 30-year-old Dunbar approached Mr Wynne and tried to sell him perfume he had stolen earlier that day.

Annoyed at being pestered by Dunbar, a brief altercation ensued, before 39-year-old Mr Wynne continued to make his way home.

But unwilling to leave the fight there, Dunbar followed Mr Wynne further along High Street, where he had gone to book a taxi

Dunbar had made his way down a nearby lane, where he armed himself with a glass bottle found on the floor. Smashing the bottle against a wall, he then hunted down his victim.

He launched an attack on Mr Wynne, stabbing him to the neck as he stepped out of a taxi office and inflicted injuries from which he never recovered. Mr Wynne died on Boxing Day at Morriston Hospital, with his family at his bedside.

Credit: South Wales Police

Dunbar pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Handing down the life term, the judge described the attack as “senseless, without any conceivable justification and deliberately brutal.”

Speaking after the case, David Wynne’s distraught family said: “Dai was a loving son, brother and father to four beautiful children.

“Dai was a very generous and thoughtful person, who had a wicked smile and an incredible sense of humour which could light up any room.

“Everybody who knew him, loved him, and our lives will never be the same without him.

“This has been an incredibly difficult process but we are glad that Kyle Dunbar has pleaded guilty to murder. This has saved us from a full trial and hearing the full horrors of that night.

“We would like to thank everybody involved, including the paramedics and members of the public who tried so valiantly to save Dai’s life. We would also like to give special thanks to South Wales Police for all their hard work in this investigation.”

Detective Sergeant Peter Collins, from the Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “As always, our thoughts are with the family and friends of Mr Wynne, whose lives have been destroyed by Kyle Dunbar’s violent and reckless actions.

“Dai was minding his own business on his way home when he was attacked. It was a brutal and pointless attack and the nature of the attack shocked everyone involved in the case."