• Warning: This article contains a graphic image

A mother said she has experienced one of her "worst ever" days as a parent after her two-year-old son was burned by a barbecue that was left on the beach.

Laura Ashford went to Caswell Bay in Swansea last Saturday with her Dad, sister and son, Harri.

Harri was looking for pebbles on the beach when Laura noticed him suddenly start screaming and crying.

Harri playing on the beach with his Grandad. Credit: Laura Ashford

I immediately went to him and on lifting him up saw his foot was badly blistered and burnt. I noticed charcoal and embers in amongst the rocks where he was playing.

Laura Ashford
Harri and his Grandad on the beach. Credit: Laura Ashford
  • Warning: Graphic image below

The family were initially seen at Singleton Hospital before being transferred to Morriston.

I would like to acknowledge my gratitude to the hospital staff who have cared for Harri and the kindness they have shown him. Harri has some small blisters to his left foot but his right foot is badly damaged. It will take weeks until it heals but doctors anticipate a full recovery. He has had his dressings changed daily to date and he had been amazing each time. We are very proud of his bravery and resilience. He hasn't allowed his injuries to hold him back and has adapted to running around on his knees - he's not the type to stay down for long!

Laura Ashford
Harri's blisters had to be burst and the damaged skin scraped off. Credit: Laura Ashford

Laura said she now wants to raise awareness of the dangers of not disposing of or putting out barbecues and bonfires correctly.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service advice on how to safely dispose of barbecues:

  • Have a bucket of water to hand.

  • Do not put the barbecue into any rubbish bin unless it is completely cool.

  • Take the barbecue away with you.

  • Some places provide metal bins designed to take hot coals. These are the best places for throwing away barbecues.

  • Keep the barbecue off the ground so it does not burn it.

The NHS has issued advice on treating burns:

  • Stop the burning process as soon as possible by dousing flames with water or smothering flames with a blanket.

  • Remove any clothing or jewellery near the burnt area of skin, including babies' nappies. But do not try to remove anything that is stuck to the burnt skin as this could cause more damage.

  • Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm running water for 20 minutes, as soon as possible after the injury. Never use ice, iced water, or any creams or greasy substances such as butter.

  • Cover the burn with cling film. Put the cling film in a layer over the burn, rather than wrapping it around a limb. A clean clear plastic bag can be used for burns on your hand.