'It was a lucky escape': Homeless man suffers burns after tent is set on fire in Cardiff

Credit: ITV Wales

A homeless man who suffered burns after his tent was set on fire in the middle of Cardiff has told ITV News it was a "lucky escape".

The man, called David Foster, said he was asleep in his tent on Queen Street on Monday with his partner and his dog when his dog started barking alerting him to the fire.

David suffered burns to his hand Credit: ITV Wales
Credit: ITV Wales

He taken to University Hospital of Wales with a minor hand injury after the incident.

South Wales Police said they are investigating and treating the incident as criminal damage.

Matt Downie from homelessness charity Crisis said a troubling number of violence against homeless people goes unreported.

Members of Cardiff Council homelessness outreach team accompanied the man to hospital for treatment. They urged homeless people to use shelter and hostel accommodation available in the city.

Paramedic Rhys Tucker was the one who responded to the 999 call and pledged to help replace David's tent, clothes and others belongings that were damaged.