1. ITV Report

Child killer was lured to flat and stabbed '150 times', court hears

Left to right: David Osbourne, Prison officer, Ieuan Harley, Prison officer and Darren Evesham sit in court Credit: Elizabeth Cook

Three neighbours stabbed a convicted child killer more than 150 times after he moved into their village, a court has heard.

David Osbourne, 51, allegedly plotted the murder after discovering his new neighbour David Gaut, 54, had been freed from serving a 33-year sentence for killing a toddler.

Osbourne, Darren Evesham, 47, and Ieuan Harley, 23, then allegedly lured the new neighbour into a flat in New Tredegar to kill him.

Newport Crown Court heard David Gaut, 54, was stabbed 150 times Credit: PA Images

The court heard he was stabbed more than 150 times with knives and a screwdriver.

Gaut had been jailed for 32 years for murdering 17-month-old Chi Ming Shek in 1985. He was released on parole in November 2017 and moved into a flat next door to Osbourne.

The court has heard Mr Gaut was a convicted child killer - having murdered toddler Chi Ming Shek in 1985 for which he served 33 years in prison.

Prosecutor Mr Douglas-Jones said pathologist Dr Derrick James carried out a post mortem and found at least 150 stab wounds all over Gaut's body from at least one knife and a screwdriver - and his fingernails had been cut off after he died.

Osbourne wanted to confront Mr Gaut about his previous offence.

They described Harley’s reaction. He became irate. He said he wanted to ‘chop him up and put him down the plughole.’

He was duly lured to the flat and he was stabbed to death.

There were a further 26 injuries which appeared to have been carried out after death to the front and right side of his neck.

There was a further group on the lower front after his death. Mr James found his finger nails had been cut off after he died.

– Prosecutor Ben Douglas-Jones QC

The court heard Gaut was lured into Osbourne's flat on the pretence of borrowing DVDs - before being killed.

Mr Douglas-Jones said: "After the murder all three men played an active part in moving the body back to his own home.

“They dragged him down a covered walkway.

“They cleaned Osbourne’s flat and tried to get rid of bloodied clothing and they set fire to a car to destroy incriminating items."

Gaut was discovered dead by police after another neighbour allegedly heard the men talking about moving the body.

Mr Douglas-Jones told the jury: "The murder in this case was brutal.

"The deceased Mr Gaut himself committed a violent offence.

“It is no part of our function to judge him for that. He was judged by a jury all those years ago. He was sentenced and he served that sentence."

The trio are also accused of perverting the course of justice, which Osbourne has admitted but his co-defendants deny.

The trial continues.