Cardiff City footballer, Emiliano Sala, died from "head and trunk injuries", a post-mortem examination has found.

It comes after the footballer's body was recovered from plane wreckage last week. The striker's plane went missing over the English Channel in January.

Wreckage of the plane which was carrying David Ibbotson and Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala was found in the English Channel. Credit: PA

The pilot David Ibbotson is still missing but his wife and daughter told Good Morning Britain they will never give up hope of finding him.

The pilot of the missing plane, Dave Ibbotson. Credit: Facebook/Dave Ibbotson

Mr Ibbotson's daughter, Danielle told the programme "If you've got hope then you shouldn't give up."

She added: "He wouldn't stop searching for me. We still hope and pray and hope everyone keeps my dad in their prayers."

The hearing, which lasted five minutes and took place at Bournemouth Town Hall, was adjourned until November. Senior coroner's officer Ian Parry confirmed Sala was pronounced dead at Portland port on February 7 and was formally identified by fingerprints.

"On Monday January 21 a Malibu aircraft left Nantes airport for Cardiff," Mr Parry said.

"Air traffic control lost contact with the aircraft during the flight and an extensive search commenced off waters at Guernsey.

"Subsequently the plane was located on the sea bed in international waters.

"Following a closer examination of the site a body, later identified as Mr Sala, was found and recovered.

"To date the pilot, Mr Ibbotson, has not been found.

"Police, Air Accidents Investigation Branch and the Civil Aviation Authority are continuing with their inquiries."

A fundraising campaign to restart the search for Mr Ibbotson has already raised more than #150,000 of a #300,000 target

A web page raising funds to continue the search for Mr Ibbotson was set up on Friday.

Mr Allen formally adjourned the inquest for further inquiries to be carried out.

"We are going to adjourn the inquest into the death of Mr Sala," he said.

"I am aware there are further investigations that are on-going; investigations being conducted by the police, Air Accidents Investigation Branch and by the Civil Aviation Authority.

"I am aware that in relation to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch's report into their investigations, they are not likely to be concluded for a period of between six and 12 months.

"On that basis I am going to fix a pre-inquest review hearing for November 6 at 10am."