Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Dogs at risk of chocolate poisoning over Easter weekend

Credit: PA Images

Around this time of year, we often indulge in chocolate but vets are advising we make sure our four-legged friends are not doing the same.

According to research by the British Veterinary Association, last year 60% of vets reported cases of dogs being poisoned by chocolate over the Easter period.

More chocolate around the house and some even being hidden for easter egg hunts, means there is a high risk of owners' dogs finding and eating it.

Credit: Andrew Beer/PA Images

Josie Cocks, a Veterinary Surgeon at Dogs Trust, explains how dangerous chocolate can be to canines.

Some chocolate is more toxic than others, any amount is potentially harmful to your dog. Chocolate poisoning can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, seizures and potentially kidney and heart failure.

– Josie Cocks, Dogs Trust

You should contact a vet immediately if you think your dog has eaten chocolate but there are also ways to try and prevent that happening in the first place.

  • Ensure guests and children know not to give your dog chocolate.
  • Don't leave any chocolate unsupervised and out in the open, like cakes on a kitchen counter.
  • Make sure your bins are dog-proof.
  • Keep an eye on your dog when out walking to check they don't eat food that's been left behind.