1. ITV Report

28-year-old man died from severe blood loss after punching window, inquest hears

A 28-year-old died from severe blood loss and shock after punching a double-glazed window at his local Social Club, an inquest has hard.

Shane James severed an artery in his arm during the incident at Penrhos Social Club in Ystradynlais in December 2018.

Shane James lived above the club with his girlfriend.

The inquest heard how Mr James had been drinking at the club with his parents before getting into an argument.

His father, Roland James, described his son on that night as "drunk but in good spirits".

The inquest at Pontypridd Coroner's Court heard how Shane James had "gone off on one".

Family tributes for Shane James left at the scene.

Mr James' father described how his son "started to rip his t-shirt. He said 'I've got to get out of here'".

His father said: "He punched directly through the window and I could hear a massive bang."

Roland James said he remembered seeing a "serious injury" to his son's right arm and there was a "huge amount of blood".

Shane James' partner, Leanne Maynard, said that her boyfriend was a "recovering alcoholic" and "would drink to hide his depression and anxiety".

The pair had been together for six years.

After running away up Brecon Road, Mr James was found "naked from the waist up" and was "groaning but was breathing". He had a "large laceration" to his right arm.

An ambulance was called and Mr James was taken to Morriston Hospital in Swansea where he later died from his injuries.

A toxicology report found that Mr James was double the drink drive limit and had also taken cocaine which was not pure.

Concluding the inquest, Coroner Rachel Knight said: "Mr James will be greatly missed and his death is a tragedy."

He had been drinking and had taken cocaine. He became involved in an argument and in anger, he punched a window. There is no way he could have anticipated the conclusion that followed. He accidentally severed an artery in his arm and despite efforts to save his life, he died of severe shock caused by blood loss.

– Coroner Rachel Knight