18-year-old Thomas Channon died after fall at Magaluf hotel, inquest told

Thomas Channon was on holiday celebrating the end of his A-Levels Credit: Family Photo

An inquest has heard how a teenage boy fell to his death over a hotel wall in Spain - one month after another British holidaymaker died in a fall at the same hotel.

18-year-old Thomas Channon from Rhoose, was killed while on holiday celebrating the end of his A-levels.

The teenager fell over a knee-high wall at the Eden Roc complex in Magaluf, Majorca.

The Eden Roc complex in Magaluf Credit: ITV Wales

It was revealed no safety measures were installed at the hotel after fellow tourist Thomas Hughes, 20, died just weeks before.

An inquest heard Thomas Channon had been staying at nearby Hotel Florida but wandered into the wrong complex when he was separated from his friends.

His body was found in a courtyard at the Eden Roc apartment complex at about 10.30am on July 12, around six hours after he was last seen walking back to his nearby hotel by a friend.

Thomas was the second UK holidaymaker to die at the complex in Majorca in the space of just two months in 2018.

Thomas was the second UK holidaymaker to die at the complex Credit: ITV Wales

Senior coroner Graeme Hughes told the inquest a temporary fence had not been erected following the death of 20-year-old Thomas Hughes from Wrexham in June.

The inquest in Pontypridd, heard his friend Raied Jones was the last person to see him alive when he spotted him around 20 metres from their hotel.

Raied had been walking with a girl when he saw Thomas on the other side of the road at 4.08am on July 12.

"I remember speaking to Thomas on my own'' Raied said.

''I asked if he was OK and I pointed in the direction of our hotel. There was street lighting but it wasn't the best.''

The inquest heard Raied continued walking without his friend.

The group of friends had watched the England v Croatia World Cup match in the town before returning to their hotel to enjoy all inclusive drinks.

They then went to drink at Alex Bar on the strip where Thomas was seen dancing until around 3am.

CCTV later captured Thomas lying on the floor at 4.05am where he was being fanned by an unknown girl.

He bumped into his friend just minutes later when he said he was "fine."

His parents John, 67, and Ceri, 49, flew to Majorca to see for themselves where he died.

At the inquest Ceri asked Raied if the group had been given any safety information following a death at the hotel a month earlier - but he replied "no."

Pathologist Dr Richard Jones gave a medical cause of death as blunt force injuries to the trunk including the pelvic fracture.

Coroner Graeme Hughes said: "It is absolutely tragic in my findings that simple steps in erecting the temporary fence were not instigated following Thomas Hughes' death in 2018.

"These simple steps would have in all probability have prevented Thomas meeting his death on 12 July 2018.

"Due to intoxication and fatigue he is likely to have become disorientated and erroneously entered the car park of a nearby apartment block.

For reasons unknown he has travelled beyond the wall falling some distance to the ground below."

Coroner Hughes recorded a narrative conclusion.