Two railway workers dead after being hit by train near Port Talbot

Credit: ITV News

Two railway workers have been killed after being hit by a train near Port Talbot.

British Transport Police said the incident took place just after 10am on Wednesday morning between Port Talbot and Bridgend stations near Margam. The two men, aged 58 and 64, were pronounced dead at the scene.

A third man was treated for shock at the scene but was uninjured.

The two men, who were both from Bridgend, were wearing ear defenders while working on the track, and therefore "could not hear" the passenger train approaching.

Emergency services were seen on the tracks shortly after the incident

Superintendent Andy Morgan from the British Transport Police told the media their thoughts are with the families as they come to terms with what has happened.

Network Rail said it was "shocked and distressed" and it is "fully cooperating with the British Transport Police and Rail Accident Investigation Branch".

We are shocked and distressed to confirm that two members of our team lost their lives today in an accident involving a train.

Network Rail spokesperson

Welsh Ambulance said it responded to reports of an incident at 9:58am to "reports of a collision between a train and two people".

Passengers on board the train, which was later evacuated, told ITV News of their shock at what happened - but said they were kept well-informed by train staff.

A rail safety expert who trains Network Rail staff told ITV Wales safety is "the absolute priority" and it was "unthinkable" this incident has happened.

"They [Network Rail] do a fantastic job at making people safe- there are a number of systems in place, it is highly unlikely they would've failed."

We are making a number of urgent enquiries to understand exactly what happened in the moments leading to this fatal collision.

Superintendent Andy Morgan from British Transport Police
The train was stranded on the track for around three hours

A Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) spokesperson said: "Two inspectors are now travelling to the site to gather evidence.”

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said there would be a full investigation into what happened.

Flowers have been left at a crossing point about a mile down the track from where the tragedy took place.

Credit: ITV News

Aberavon MP Stephen Kinnock tweeted that his thoughts were with the families of the two people who have died.

Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn MP tweeted saying it was "such awful news". During prime minister's questions, he said his thoughts were with the relatives of the workers.