1. ITV Report

Three men jailed for 'horrific and cruel' killing of father Anthony Winter over £500 debt

(L-R) Harvey Huchet, John Junior Phillips, and James Jones all received custodial sentences Credit: South Wales Police

Three men have been jailed for the murder of a father over a £500 debt.

Dad-of-one Anthony Winter, 32, died after being stabbed in the leg and "ferociously beaten" at Cath Cobb Woodland in St Mellons, Cardiff, on the morning of November 22 last year.

The court heard he begged a cabbie to "please drive" when she pulled over near a woodland. But the taxi driver believed he was drunk - and allowed Mr Winter to leave with his killers from the cab.

Mr Winter was then fatally stabbed by James Jones, 19, and left lying in a pool of blood next to a footpath.

Cardiff Crown Court heard John Phillips, 28, tortured Mr Winter for hours along with Jones and 17-year-old Harvey Huchet over the drugs debt.

Credit: Family photo/South Wales Police

Prosecutor Christopher Clee said the group tried 17 times to get money from Mr Winter's bank account during the attack in Newport, South Wales.

Jones, of St Mellons, Cardiff, admitted murder after he fatally stabbed Mr Winter in the leg.

He was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 20 years.

Phillips, of Newport, was found guilty of manslaughter. He was sentenced to 22 years in prison.

17-year-old Harvey Huchet was also found guilty of manslaughter. He was handed a 12 year sentence in a young offender institution.

A 17-year-old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons was given a youth rehabilitation order for perverting the course of justice.

Judge Mrs Justice Jefford said: "Anthony Winter was at the time of his death 32 years old.

"He had a family. He had a girlfriend who cared for him very much and he had a child who will not grow up not knowing her father."

"How Anthony Winter's life ended was horrific and cruel."

There were cheers in the public gallery as the killers were jailed.

In a statement, Anthony's family said they will remember him as a "gentle man and father, always laughing... and without a malicious bone in his body".

"Anthony was a lifelong Liverpool supporter and friends and family wore football shirts to his funeral as a mark of respect and affection.

"Losing him has left a huge gap in our lives.

"He did not deserve to die the way he did.

"We also thank South Wales Police who worked so tirelessly alongside the Crown Prosecution Service to deliver justice for Anthony from the moment he was found, and for their unfaltering support through a very difficult time.

"The family would like to be given time to grieve and to recover from this most traumatic of experiences.”