Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mum pays tribute to her 'amazing son' who died in 'freak accident' after accidentally starting garage fire

Mark Logan is said to have fallen asleep in a taxi after a night out and jumped out five miles away from his house.

A mother has paid tribute to her "amazing son" who on a stag-do died in a freak accident after getting lost on his way home.

Ms James described the moment she heard a body had been found as her

Susan James has opened up over the loss of her son, Mark Logan, whose body was found after a garage fire in Rhos, near Pontardawe on March 10.

The father-of-two is said to have fallen asleep in a taxi after a night out and jumped out five miles away from his house.

The inquest heard Mark accidentally started a fire in the garage

Ms James described the moment she heard a body had been found as her "worst nightmare."

An inquest heard he became trapped after stumbling into a nearby garage for shelter

I just knew it was him. He would have come home. It was the worst news a parent could imagine. Kirsty's ( Mark's wife) breath was taken away. It was awful, just awful. It was your worst nightmare.

– Susan James, Mark Logan's mother
Ms James described her son as a devoted husband.

She said her son was a devoted husband to his wife Kirsty and loved his two children.

He grew into an amazing son, an amazing man, a fabulous father and an amazing husband, he was everything he should have been. There was nothing he would not have done for his children. He was a hard worker and what they wanted as a family he would provide. His family were his life.

– Susan James, Mark Logan's mother

But she said there are still some unanswered questions surrounding her son's death.

Ms James said she had been told there was CCTV available from the evening which was not shown at the inquest.

They plan to request it from the coroner.

We were told there was CCTV footage of the boys together in the cul de sac and another going down the cul de sac. We have not seen the footage. We were told it was going to be shown at the inquest, but it was not. We want to see the CCTV footage. It's about having the answers.

– Susan James, Mother of Mark Logan
Mr Logan's inquest heard that the cause of death was smoke inhalation with the resulting fire causing his death.

Mr Logan's inquest heard that the cause of death was smoke inhalation with the resulting fire causing his death.

Coroner Colin Phillips recorded a conclusion of accidental death.