The owner of a horse that impaled itself on a fence, after being frightened by fireworks, has started a fundraising for its vet bills.
The horse, named Harry, was found on Saturday 2nd November impaled by a fence post in Holywell, north Wales having attempted to jump a hedge. The RSPCA said that he had been "spooked" by the nearby fireworks and escaped his enclosure.
RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton said: "The horse must have been laying there all night and it took us until 1pm to get him out, get him up and get him on a wagon for the vets to attempt surgery on his very serious wounds, caused by impaling himself on the hedge and fencing."
Rescue teams worked on Harry for five hours and it was feared he would not survive the trauma. However, six-year-old Harry responded and his condition is slowly starting to improve, although he may not fully recover from the accident.
His owner Laura Ridings, from Prestatyn, has set up a fundraising page to help cover the veterinary bills. The target is £5,000, but Laura said the cost could well exceed that.
Laura said although Harry may never be ridden again, she "wants him to have the best chance and the best life he can have."
Laura, who visits Harry every day, has said he "seems okay" but "the vet isn't making any promises." His wound has finally stopped bleeding, but he may still need transfusions.
She is also calling for stricter laws around fireworks to be passed adding "it's hard to prepare animals for fireworks, especially when they're going off at all hours for weeks around the event."
"I know kids love the displays on bonfire night, but they should be left to professional displays."
"There should be stricter rules on people buying fireworks and endangering animals."
RSPCA Cymru is calling for action to tackle the unnecessary stress caused to animals at this time of year with a campaign called 'Bang Out Of Order'.