An American Olympic gold medallist was among eight people injured after a double-decker bus hit a railway bridge in Swansea.

At least 20 passengers were led off the X10 bus by emergency services after it collided with the low-lying bridge on 12 December.

The top deck of the bus was crumpled with a section of the roof thrown onto the rail line above the bridge.

Kevin Young, who took the 400m hurdle world record in the 1992 Games in Barcelona, was left with a head wound and two broken ribs after the crash.

He was on his way to Swansea University, where he is currently studying for a Masters degree in sports ethics and integrity.

Seven other passengers were injured, including one with serious injuries. One woman remains in critical condition in hospital.

A 63-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been released under investigation.

Fire crews were at the scene following the incident on Thursday morning

A Swansea University student, who was a passenger on the bus, recalled hearing the crunching of glass when the crash happened.

I was reading on my phone when there was a sudden stop, and I was thrown forward. There was a crunching of glass, and I think there were about five people bleeding, and three who seemed hurt.”

Alastair Hawkes, Eyewitness

Police are continuing to appeal for witnesses and have asked anyone with any information to contact them on 101.

Services were suspended on the Great Western Railway between Swansea and Neath and motorists were urged to avoid the area.

Andrew Sherrington, Managing Director at First Cymru said: “We can confirm one of our vehicles operating Service 10 between Swansea University Singleton Campus and Swansea Bay University Campus has been involved in a collision with a bridge, which has resulted in a number of passengers sustaining injuries.

"We’ve immediately dispatched a support team and launched a full investigation to establish the circumstances that has led to this collision, and are assisting South Wales police with their enquiries.

"Everyone at First Cymru is shocked by this incident and our heartfelt sympathies go out to those injured."