1. ITV Report

Final two members of Barry drugs gang jailed

Yousef Woolcock (L) and Kevin Skinner (R) were jailed on Wednesday Credit: South Wales Police

The head of a criminal gang which sold drugs across Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil has been jailed.

Yousef Woolcock, 36, from Pendine Close, Barry, was jailed for 17-and-a-half years at Cardiff Crown Court on Wednesday.

Kevin Skinner, 37, from Wyndham Street, Barry, described as a runner in the operation, appeared alongside Woolcock and was jailed for five-and-a-half years.

The pair are the final known members of a Barry-based drugs gang to be sent to prison over the past 12 months.

Operation Blue Pearl was launched after police received information that drugs were being transported from Barry to the South Wales valleys, via Bridgend and Gilface Goch.

Woolcock was arrested in July after CCTV showed him topping up a known drugs phone in a Barry shop. Thousands of pounds worth of heroin was seized after a search of his home in Fordd Penrhyn. Skinner was also arrested on the same day.

During the whole operation which lasted for 12 months, £64,000 worth of class A drugs, over £12,000 in cash, and weapons including knives, tasers, and hammers were seized by officers

Today we jailed the remaining two members of the Barry Line drugs gang which we had been monitoring since August 2018.

Yousef Woolcock headed-up a significant drugs supply operation and sold many thousands of pounds worth of class A drugs – a minimum of 18 kilogrammes of heroin.

Everybody can be sure of the damage that his drugs have caused members of the community, their families and loved ones. The weapons seized during this whole operation is also clear evidence that his activities come hand in hand with violence.

In dismantling this operation we have taken many thousands of pounds worth of drugs off the streets, but other dealers will be waiting to move in. Only with the communities help and support can we tackle drug dealing and prevent the violence that comes with it.

– Detective Sergeant Tim Jones, South Wales Police