1. ITV Report

Man jailed for supplying drug cocktail to girlfriend who later died

A man has been sentenced to 21 months in jail after he admitted supplying a cocktail of illegal drugs to his girlfriend who later died while celebrating New Year's Eve at a luxury hotel.

Hollie Sheridan-Connis had drunk "copious amounts of alcohol" and her boyfriend Ryan Lee Weston gave her cocaine, ecstasy, amphetamine and ketamine, Caernarfon Crown Court heard today.

The pair had agreed to get engaged during the course of the night.

She was pronounced dead in the early hours of New Year's Day 2019 by paramedics called to the Glan y Gro Lakeside Suites near Bala, Gwynedd.

The couple from Birkenhead, Merseyside had been in a "volatile" relationship and had recently reconciled despite the fact that Weston had broken her jaw and released rats in her bedroom.

The court heard the couple had brought the drugs and alcohol with them. Weston, 32, of Oteley Avenue, Bromborough admitted supplying the drugs and also pleaded guilty to burgling Ms Sheridan-Connis' home in Leasowe earlier in December 2018.

Sentencing Weston to 21 months in prison, Judge Huw Rees said: "This is a tragic case and underlines the devastating effects drugs and a combination of alcohol can have.

The judge added both Weston and Ms Sheridan-Connis had been "willing participants" in the drug taking and had been "reckless".

"There can be no winners here, only losers," he said.

Matthew Curtis, prosecuting, said Weston and Ms Sheridan-Connis had been in a relationship for about five years and described it as "volatile".

The previous month there had been an incident in which Weston had lashed out at Ms Sheridan-Connis breaking her jaw.

But the couple had been reconciled and on New Year's Eve had travelled to Bala and during the evening had agreed to become engaged.

Ms Sheridan-Connis had called friends to let them know of this and she was said to have been "in high spirits and happy".

Shortly after midnight the owner of Glan y Gro, Rob Moore, had spoken to them about the noise they were making and asked them to bear in mind others staying in the complex.

He was alerted shortly after 5am by the fire alarm sounding.

"The defendant had gone to another room and when he returned to the bedroom found Ms Sheridan-Connis was not breathing and he had tried to revive her sounding the fire alarm to seek assistance."

Paramedics attended and continued trying to revive Ms Sheridan-Connis but to no avail and she was pronounced dead at 6.12am.

"The police were called and Weston was arrested on suspicion of murder. In interview he admitted taking drugs to the property," the barrister said.

Her family were concerned about the relationship and in December 2018 it was being conducted without their knowledge he said.

Mr Curtis said in early December Weston had filmed himself buying a number of rats at a pet shop and then took them to her home and released them in her bedroom.

He also scrawled the word "rat" on a picture board.

Mr Curtis added Weston was already serving a prison sentence having pleaded guilty to possessing drugs with intent to supply at Chester Crown Court last August and being handed a 45-month jail term.

Michael Gray, defending, said both Weston and Ms Sheridan-Connis were willing participants in drug taking.

"This was reckless behaviour by both parties and tragically a death resulted," he added.

Weston, he said, had shown remorse and was determined to lead a more productive life on release from prison.