Here's how flood victims can apply for financial help from the government

People whose homes have been affected by flooding during storms Ciara and Dennis can now apply to receive a government payment to help with the clean-up.

Hundreds of people were forced out of their homes after heavy and prolonged rain caused devastation to private property and businesses in south Wales last week.

The Welsh Government said all households affected by flooding will receive £500. An extra £500 will be given to those without house insurance.

It said people who apply for the payment will receive it within 24 hours and people will still get the money even if they have applied for other help.

Many people had to be rescued from their homes Credit: Huw Evans Photography

One of the worst-affected areas of the floods is Rhondda Cynon Taf.

The council there is also making financial support available to residents and small and medium sized businesses affected by Storm Dennis. A grant is available of £500 per household and £1,000 per business.

More information can be found here.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said: “When I met people from flood-hit communities over the last week, I saw for myself the stress, strain and loss people are experiencing. We want to do all we can to help them at this extremely stressful time.

"I also saw the extreme pressure people are under if they didn’t have insurance cover or if their insurance policies do not cover flooding. To help those people, we are providing additional money to those not covered by house insurance."

First Minister met with residents following the floods

He added, “The Welsh Government has set up a £10m emergency fund to help with the immediate aftermath of the floods, but the cost of infrastructure damage and the investment needed to address the climate emergency go far beyond this.

“The UK Government also has a role in responding to these floods and a responsibility to the people of Wales. After a week of silence in the face of this emergency, we urgently need to hear what longer-term support communities can expect from the UK Government.”

In response, the UK Government said it will "look seriously" at any request from the Welsh Government for additional support and assistance for flood relief.

It also added, "The UK Government has ensured that any flood hardship payments made to individuals and families will not affect their eligibility for benefits issued by Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

"The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has sent guidance to all of its Welsh teams on what to do when people are temporarily unable to attend work because they are affected by the floods. Job Centres stand ready to help employees who are unable to work, either through individual one to one support, or on a community basis."

  • How do I apply?

Contact your local authority who can help with your application or you can apply online.

Further information can be found under ‘February floods’ on the Welsh Government website:

You will need to provide personal information of everyone living in your household including full names, dates of birth and national insurance numbers.

You will also need to provide details of benefits you receive and how much you get, details of any organisations helping you, details of household income and expenses as well as details of your savings.

Support for businesses affected by storms Ciara and Dennis is available from Business Wales. For more information, click here.