Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Coronavirus death toll in Wales rises by 27 as hundreds more test positive for the disease

The number of deaths from coronavirus is now at 193 in Wales. Credit: PA Images

There have been 27 further deaths from coronavirus in Wales bringing the total number of people who have died from the disease to 193.

Figures released by Public Health Wales show there are now 3,499 confirmed cases of COVID-19, although the true number of cases is likely to be higher.

Dr Giri Shankar, Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said:

“302 new cases have tested positive for Novel Coronavirus in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 3,499, although the true number of cases is likely to be higher.

“27 further deaths have been reported to us of people who had tested positive for Novel Coronavirus, taking the number of deaths in Wales to 193.

“We offer our condolences to families and friends affected, and we ask those reporting on the situation to respect patient confidentiality.

Public Health Wales say they've conducted more than 15,000 tests for COVID-19 on nearly 13,000 individuals since the start of the outbreak.

Public Health Wales say they've conducted more than 15,000 tests for COVID-19. Credit: PA Images

Number of cases confirmed by local health board - 06/04/2019

  • Aneurin Bevan - 1103
  • Betsi Cadwaladr - 226
  • Cardiff & Vale- 888
  • Cwm Taf Morgannwg - 534
  • Hywel Dda - 213
  • Powys - 55
  • Swansea Bay - 412
  • Resident outside Wales - 27
  • To be confirmed - 41

People are being reminded they no longer need to contact NHS 111 if they think they may have contracted Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Information about the symptoms to look out for is available on the Public Health Wales website, or members of the public can use the NHS Wales symptom checker.

Mark Drakeford said in the daily press conference the lockdown will need to continue after Easter. Credit: PA Images

The First Minister said at a press conference he believes the lockdown should continue beyond three weeks.

He said: "I think the lockdown will need to continue beyond Easter Tuesday. That's when the three weeks formally comes to an end.

"Everything I've seen so far suggests to me it would be foolish to throw away the enormous effort everyone has made by simply removing the constraints we've been living under at that point.

Coronavirus: Everything you need to know