Man describes moment his car plummeted 50m off edge of Welsh mountain

251021 Mountain crash media wales

A man who says he can’t believe he is still alive has described the moment he lost control of his car before it fell 50m off a mountain.

Iestyn Brown-Morris was driving back from a trip to Llangynidr mountain – about a 20-minute drive from his home in Abergavenny – when the crash happened.“I visit the mountains quite often as they are my favourite place to go for some me time,” the 22-year-old said.

“I had just finished work that day and was very hungry, the weather was sunny too, so I decided to get some food and thought it was the perfect time to park up and watch the sunset.

“I drive the roads there very regularly and have never had any scares or problems. I see a lot of drivers speeding past me and even overtaking sometimes, which baffles me.“I decided to go home near 7pm when the sun had gone down. I wasn’t sure at the time what I had hit, it felt like a big dip, and then a loud bang on the left side of the vehicle which caused me to lose control.“I was really scared. I could not think of anything at the time. As I flew off the cliff and saw the ground coming closer I really thought I was going to die.“I crashed into the bank and flipped a few times. That car that I worked so hard for for an entire year is a write-off.”

Asked if he now remembers anything about the incident he explained: “I believe the car fell around 50m into the bank below. I don’t really remember much. It all happened so fast.“I hit the ground and the next thing I know I’m upside-down looking for the door to escape.”

Iestyn was spotted by a group of boys and girls who were on the mountain at the time whom he said he can’t thank enough.“They dragged me up the mountain and then shortly after I was stretchered up into the back of an ambulance by the fire brigade,” Iestyn recalled. “The emergency services said they can’t believe I survived."

Iestyn says he still can't believe he survived the crash.

After being taken to the Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil Iestyn has made a remarkable recovery.“I received outstanding care,” he said. “I was discharged six hours later at 2am after the all clear following a CT scan despite suspicions of a fracture to my lower back.“I’m slowly feeling better every day. The extreme pain all came on day two and day three. I haven’t been able to move much at all until day four.”

Iestyn wants to share his experiences in the hope other motorists will take heed. “Really take care and be extremely cautious when driving on roads such as country lanes and mountains as they aren’t the safest roads on the best of days,” he added.“There are a lot more factors to take in on these roads compared to usual roads in terms of weather conditions, wear and tear of the roads, and the layout of the roads.“My seatbelt has saved my life. You really don’t know what is around the corner or what could happen when you’re driving.“I feel fortunate to walk away still breathing.”