Alcohol and cocaine fuelled man killed 50-year-old with one punch in unprovoked Porthcawl attack

070122 One punch

A "cowardly and morally despicable" man killed a 50-year-old with a single punch to the head in an unprovoked attack.Christopher George, 27, launched his fatal assault on Carl Chinnock, 50, at the Salt Lake car park in Porthcawl on June 23, last year.After hitting Mr Chinnock and knocking him to the floor unconscious, George fled the scene and late told a taxi driver he "gave some bloke a slap" and had to "get out of town".Mr Chinnock subsequently fell into a coma and died two days later at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.A trial at Cardiff Crown Court heard the defendant was "spoiling for a fight" on the night of the victim's death having drunk eight pints and taken cocaine, but he denied causing Mr Chinnock's death claiming he had been acting in self-defence.

Christopher George was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

But this was rejected by a jury who found father-of-one George guilty of manslaughter.Speaking at a sentencing hearing on Friday, Judge Michael Fitton QC said: "My view is when you went into the car park there was no good reason other than to, in your mind, seek out the men who were shouting and you were clearly up to no good...."I reject entirely the account (Mr Chinnock) offered you any threat at all and you delivered a punch to his face for no good reason and in your intoxicated state you hit him hard enough to start a chain of events which caused his death."I form the view you did it in anger.... You did it in an intoxicated and cowardly way and you won that confrontation but in losing to you Mr Chinnock lost his life."

Carl Chinnock, 50, died two days after the punch at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

Judge Fitton also referred to George's attempts to pin the blame on three young men who remained at the scene, claiming they "mishandled" Mr Chinnock when they attempted to help him. He added: "Your conduct was not just cowardly but morally despicable".In a victim personal statement read out to the court, Mr Chinnock's sister Tracey Rees said she had a close relationship with her brother and she loved him very much.She added: "Carl took a different path to me but always kept in touch. Carl was always there to look out for me and supported me and my children during difficult times for which I will always be grateful. I miss being able to call Carl."I was in the hospital when his life support machine was turned off and held his hand as he passed away."Ms Rees said the impact on her parents had also been catastrophic, with both struggling to come to terms with their son's death.She said: "We as a family fail to understand why Mr George assaulted my brother and caused the end of his life.... He's sorely missed and our lives will never be the same again."

In mitigation, John Caudle said his client, who had learning difficulties, maintained he acted in self defence but expressed remorse for the consequences of the single punch he landed on Mr Chinnock.But Judge Fitton said he believed the defendant had shown a lack or remorse and referred to George's emotional state during the trial as "feelings of selt pity" for himself and his family and an attempt to avoid conviction.He said: "I regard (Mr Chinnock's death an entirely unneccessary, pointless and tragic death and loss."The judge also referred to Mr Chinnock's previous convictions for violent offences but said they had no bearing on the defendant's sentence.George, of Heol y Berllan, Pyle, was sentenced to five years imprisonment.