A grandmother died after being attacked by a dog while looking after her granddaughter, an inquest has heard.
Elizabeth Ray Walton, 72, was bitten while looking after her youngest grandchild at her daughter's Pembrokeshire home during the school holidays.
She was discovered lying on the floor of the utility room covered in "a large amount of blood" by her son-in-law when he returned home from work on the afternoon of August 10 last year.
She was airlifted to Morriston hospital in Swansea where she was treated for "extreme injuries to her legs and buttocks" and had one of her arms amputated, said Lisa Jenkins, the coroner's officer.
However, Mrs Walton never regained consciousness and died in the early hours of September 1 having contracted sceptic shock and pneumonia as a result of her injuries.
Mrs Walton had popped round to her daughter's home in Goodwick, Pembrokeshire, on August 10 to help out with childcare during the school holidays, according to a report read out during the inquest at Haverfordwest County Hall today (January 12).
Pembrokeshire born and bred, Mrs Walton, an only child, had worked for Stena Line Ferries before taking a job with the Vincent Davies home store in Haverfordwest.
She was a regular visitor at the home of her daughter, Leah Walton, where she and her partner Ryan kept a number of dogs. Miss Jenkins told the inquest that it was Ryan who discovered Mrs Walton when he returned home. She'd been in the house alone while her granddaughter went outside to play.
Ryan noticed that the wooden divide which usually keeps the dogs out of the house was not in place, Miss Jenkins said, and it was clear that "one of the dogs had attacked" Mrs Walton.
At the time, police confirmed the dog, an American bulldog, did not fall under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. The animal was destroyed after the incident.
Mrs Walton was still conscious and complaining of feeling cold and so Ryan tried to cover her up and keep her warm while he phoned Leah and the emergency services.
She was taken to Morriston by air ambulance where, despite the best efforts of doctors in the intensive care unit, she never recovered.
The medical cause of death was given by Doctor Johnathan Lloyd Evans, who said Mrs Walton suffered a heart attack and ventilator -induced pneumonia, sceptic shock and fatal dog bite injuries.
Acting senior coroner for Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, Paul Bennet described Mrs Walton's death as "one of those tragic situations" where a dog has launched "a series of attacks".
"The injuries resulted in her being hospitalised and the development of sceptic shock and ventilator-induced pneumonia," Mr Bennett said, recording a conclusion of accidental death.
"The dog attack and bites seem wholly logical to be as a result of an unintended act of the dog.
"The sad fact that for whatever reason Mrs Walton was the victim of this incident. And in that sense of the word, has been subjected to an accident."
He offered his condolences to the family, who were not present at the inquest, describing Mrs Walton's death as a "very tragic loss".