Woman says she was 'physically sick' after finding 'worm' in her KFC drink

Janine Shaw shared pictures of what she had found on Facebook. Credit: Janine Shaw

A woman says she was physically sick after finding a "tiny worm" in her KFC drink.

Janine Shaw had visited the Spytty branch of the fast food chain in Newport on Wednesday (April 20).

She ordered a kid's chicken meal with a Pepsi, but was horrified after discovering what appeared to be a worm in the drink.

The 40-year-old shared pictures of what she had found on Facebook. In the post, she said: "Feel sick even writing this. KFC Spytty Newport I visited this lunchtime, went through the drive through and I had a children's chicken fillet meal, with Pepsi.

Janine said the discovery had made her "physically sick". Credit: Janine Shaw

"All was fine with the food, the lid on the drink didn’t have a hole for the straw so I had to take it off. I started drinking my drink and saw something on the edge of the cup, looking closer it was a tiny worm! The texture shape and head was clearly visible!

"It definitely wasn’t something from the pipes etc. I feel physically sick I wouldn’t have even noticed this if I hadn’t had to take the top off, and the small amount I drank I don’t know if there was more in that. Also this was meant to be a children's meal and I’m sure a child wouldn’t have stopped to look! I have made a complaint to KFC, last time I’m visiting but be aware of their cleanliness!"

Janine, who works for Newport City Council, said she has never had any issues with this KFC branch in the past.

The KFC branch in Newport has the highest food hygiene rating. Credit: Google Maps

She said: "I'm not a regular visitor to be honest, but I have been there on numerous occasions. I don't think I will ever be able to drink a drink from a fast food restaurant again. It has really turned me off all fast food in general.

"It did make me physically sick, but I think that was just the thought of what I had ingested to be honest. I had already drank some of it before I saw it in the cup. It definitely looked like a worm or some sort of bug."

The KFC outlet has been awarded the highest food hygiene rating, after an inspection in January 2019. It is not known where the bug came from, or what exactly it is.

Janine said she complained to KFC's head office following the incident, but has yet to speak to a member of staff about her complaint.

A KFC spokesperson said: “We’re really sorry Janine was put off her meal – that’s the last thing we want. We have very strict hygiene and quality processes at our restaurants and the EHO has confirmed all our procedures were in order.

"We've not had any similar complaints but we never want to leave a guest disappointed, so we’ve reached out to her to make things right.”