WRU 'condemns' behaviour of fans after 80-year-old bystander remains in hospital


The WRU has condemned the behaviour of fans which led to an elderly man sustaining a serious injury during Wales v New Zealand.

Witnesses to an alleged altercation between two men at Saturday's match that resulted in an 80-year-old bystander being hospitalised have been asked to come forward.South Wales Police and the Welsh Rugby Union have jointly called for anyone with mobile phone footage of the incident at Cardiff's Principality Stadium to submit it to the police.

Officers were called shortly before 4.30pm on Saturday, November 5 after receiving reports of an alleged altercation, which resulted in an 80-year-old man being knocked over and injured.The two men, aged 20 and 32, were arrested for assault. They are on bail and have been released under investigation respectively while enquiries continue. The elderly man is still in hospital receiving treatment for "a serious neck injury".

PC Georgina Charlton from South Wales Police said that both the 80-year-old and his family were "grateful for the support they have received from the rugby community".

She continued: "South Wales Police would like to thank witnesses who have already come forward with information following media coverage of this incident."We are now keen to hear from anyone who may have mobile phone footage of what happened and the moments leading up to the elderly gentleman being knocked over."Steve Phillips, WRU group chief executive, added: "The Welsh Rugby Union joins South Wales Police in their appeal for further information and footage of the incident. We thank our stewards and responding officers on the scene for responding so quickly and our thoughts are with the innocent individual affected and his family."We condemn the behaviour of those involved and deeply regret the incident on Saturday and wish the individual a speedy recovery. I cannot comment further on the incident given the ongoing police investigation but, once that investigation is complete arrangements which ensure those found to be responsible will not be welcomed back to Principality Stadium will follow.

"Anti-social behaviour of any kind has no place in Welsh rugby, and whilst this isolated incident has no bearing on the majority of supporters who attend games at Principality Stadium, we reiterate our appeal to supporters enjoy themselves responsibly this Saturday whilst attending the Argentina match and during the games that follow."