FA Cup: Wrexham's dream run comes to agonising end after 3-1 loss to Sheffield Utd

Two injury-time goals from Sheffield United knocked Wrexham out of the FA Cup. Credit: PA

Wrexham's FA Cup run came to an agonising end after two late goals from Sheffield United.

The Red Dragons lost 3-1 to the Championship team in their FA Cup fourth-round replay.

Blades' captain Billy Sharp scored in the 94th minute to make it 2-1 and then Sander Berge took the lead to 3-1 in the 96th.

Wrexham's Paul Mullin missed a penalty in the 72nd minute after scoring from the same spot just 13 minutes earlier.

It came after a short lead for the Blades after Anel Ahmedhodzic scored just after half time to gift the home side the lead being brought down in the box to give his side a fighting chance.

Wrexham's Paul Mullin scores a penalty to bring his side level against Sheffield United. Credit: PA

In a thrilling game that swung in both teams favour Sheffield United managed to strike two decisive blows in injury-time to come out on top.

The Red Dragons would have been the happier of the two teams going in after the first half with the Blades guilty of a few wasted chances.

Sheffield midfielder James McAtee missed a golden opportunity when he shot wide of the post with just the keeper to beat.

50 minutes in, Anel Ahmedhodzic put the Championship team ahead before Wrexham's star-striker, Paul Mullin, brought his team level.

The Welsh team were buoyed on by their 4,700 fans that made the journey to South Yorkshire.

Every one of those fans would've been celebrating when the referee awarded Wrexham a second penalty after Mullin was brought down in the area.

It was not to be for the FA Cup's top scorer as Mullin's penalty was saved by Sheffield United's Welsh goalkeeper Adam Davies.

There were 4,700 Wrexham fans in the away end at Bramall Lane. Credit: PA

To make things worse for the Welsh team, Sheffield United's captain Billy Sharp scored in the 94th minute to give his team the lead.

As the north-Wales team looked for an equaliser to send the game into extra-time, they were left open at the back.

Sander Berge scored his team's third to end Wrexham's dream run in the FA Cup.

Pre-match build up

Anticipation is building in Wrexham tonight as dreams of reaching the fifth round of the FA Cup could become a reality, if the team beat Championship side Sheffield United.

The Red Dragons almost confirmed their place into the next round of the competition at the Racecourse Ground on 29th January. That was until United's John Egan scored in the 95th minute in extra time.

Victory tonight at Bramall Lane would mean Wrexham welcome Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur to North Wales on 1st March.

Ahead of the game, Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson, has said his side are ready for the fixture.

"We've had great support and the challenge is to keep that positivity there but I'm confident we will because one thing about the lads and the staff is they give everything, every time.

Wrexham are away to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane with the match live on ITV 4 and ITVX. Credit: PA

"They pull on the shirt and I think that's a mantra which has been with us for quite a while."

Parkinson will be hoping the side will take much confidence into the match after Wrexham's winning streak since early on in December and off-the-back of their National League win away to Altringham last Saturday.

In their first match against Sheffield United, Wrexham went down by a goal-to-nil after Oli McBurnie scored in the first two minutes.

However Wrexham had to wait until the second half for James Jones to bring the home side level in the 50th minute.

Parkinson's side then grew into the game with Thomas O'Connor scoring to take the lead in the 61st minute but that lead only lasted for four minutes as Oliver Norwood scored for the Blades to take the score to 2-2.

Paul Mullin celebrates scoring Wrexham's third goal at the Racecourse Ground. Credit: PA

Things looked very promising for the home side when Sheffield United's Daniel Jebbison received a red card in the 71st minute.

And dreams looked like they were about to come true for the north Wales side in the 86th minute when Paul Mullins took the score to 3-2.

But a bitter blow came for Wrexham in extra time came as John Egan scored for United in the 95th minute, bringing a sigh of relief for the Championship side but disappointment for Wrexham.

It was one of the biggest news stories of our time - and it's still not over. So what did Boris Johnson know about Downing Street’s notorious parties? With fresh revelations from our Number 10 sources, in their own words, listen to the inside story...