Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after pregnant woman stabbed in Aberfan

Chief Inspector for Mid Glamorgan Rob Miles provided an update during a press conference on Tuesday 5 December.

A 28-year-old man from Merthyr has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a pregnant woman was stabbed in what police have described as a "targeted attack" in Aberfan.

He remains in police custody following an incident on Tuesday (5 December).

Armed officers were called at around 9.10 am after reports that a woman had been stabbed on Moy Road. A 29-year-old female was taken by ambulance to the University Hospital of Wales.

Chief Inspector for Mid Glamorgan Rob Miles said during a press conference: "This was a targeted attack. The woman remains in hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening at this time."

A police cordon was put in place and local schools were closed as a precaution. Credit: ITV Cymru Wales

Chief Inspector Miles said: "This afternoon (Tuesday 5 December) a 28-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

"The man is known to the victim and is currently in police custody."

He added: "I appreciate there will be a real sense of shock in the local community with the attack having happened in broad daylight."

Local schools activated a lockdown protocol during the police operation but they will reopen on Wednesday 6 December.

Neighbour Kira Terrett was one of the first people to come to the aid of a 29-year-old woman after she was stabbed on Moy Road.

Kira Terrett was walking her dog near her home when she came to the aid of a 29-year-old injured pregnant woman. She told ITV: "This is a quiet village. Nothing happens everyone is quiet. I ran to go and get help and then called the ambulance and police."

She described how all the neighbours ran out carrying pillows and towels and said: "One of the girls down the street is a nurse and she was putting the towels, putting pressure on the wounds."

Ms Terrett paid tribute to the emergency services she said: "They were here within minutes. Armed police were here, the paramedics were here, the helimeds came as well because we weren't sure whether her waters had broken and we were worried about the baby as well."

The incident was raised during plenary at the Senedd on Tuesday with First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford saying his thoughts were with the people of Aberfan.

It's after Welsh Tory leader Andrew RT Davies spoke about the incident as events unfolded in the village.

He said: "I would like to extend my thoughts to the community of Aberfan which is going through an incident at the moment and I will go no further on that as events are unfolding as we speak.

"But I am sure everyone's thoughts are with that community and those involved in trying to restore the situation at Aberfan."

Mr Drakeford said: “Can I echo what the leader of the opposition said about the events that are unfolding in Aberfan? I was grateful for the briefing I received earlier in the day from Dawn Bowden, the constituency member.

“Events continue to unfold and for the moment our thoughts are with people caught up in them and there will be more, no doubt, that we will learn.”

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know…