Live updates


Man arrested over sexual assault of teenager on train

A man has been arrested in connection with the sexual assault of a teenager on a train.

Credit: PA

On Thursday British Transport Police appealed for information after a 17-year-old girl was assaulted on a train travelling between Cardiff and Treherbert. A 38-year-old man from Pontypridd contacted police and has been arrested in connection with the incident. He has now been released on police bail.

Sex pest exposed himself on Valley line trains

A Rhondda man, who performed indecent acts in front of women on trains between Cardiff and Porth. has been jailed for a total of 16 months.

Three victims complained to police about Stewart's behaviour on trains. Credit: British Transport Police

Gareth Rhys Stewart, aged 21, of Park View, Ynyshir, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court after pleading guilty to indecent exposure and outraging public decency.

The court heard that in January a 25-year-old victim caught a packed train from Cardiff Queen Street to Treherbert.

During the journey, Stewart offered his seat which she accepted. Shortly after, while stood in the aisle next to her, he began subjecting her to lewd behaviour and touched her.

Then, as the train became quieter, Stewart took a seat across the aisle and performed an indecent act on himself.

A police appeal was issued and a further two victims – aged 22 and 16 - also came forward.

Unemployed Stewart was sentenced to 16 months’ imprisonment and ordered to register as a sex offender for 10 years. He was also banned from using the rail network for five years.

Detective Constable Dilwyn Lewis, who led the British Transport Police investigation said, "This kind of unwanted sexual behaviour is exactly the kind of conduct we are committed to identifying and stamping out.

“If someone has made you feel uncomfortable on your journey – however minor it may seem to you – I would encourage you to follow the example set by Stewart’s victims by reporting it to us."


Jail for cable theft bid which caused Xmas train havoc

Andrew Walters and Toni Ellis cause travel chaos when they cut cables. Credit: British Transport Police

A man and a woman have been jailed for their part in a plan to steal railway cable in Cardiff which caused delays to thousands of passengers on Christmas Eve.

Andrew Mark Walters, aged 27, and Toni Ann Ellis, aged 30, of Saundersfoot Close, Cardiff, were both jailed for 12 months.

The court heard that on Monday morning on the 23rd December 2013, Network Rail became aware of a CCTV failure at St Fagans, on the mainline between Cardiff and Swansea and discovered that cabling had been cut.

Following a search of the area, a rucksack was found near the scene, inside the bag a hacksaw and spare blade, as well as a receipt from a scrap metal dealer was found made out to Ellis.

CCTV footage from the scrap yard showed Ellis entering nine hours prior to the offence being committed.

A total of 26 trains were delayed as a result of the cut cabling the cost to Network Rail was almost £8,000.

Ellis admitted to being on the railway at the time but denied cutting the cable. Walters also admitted being at the scene and told officers he’d pulled some cable to loosen it.

Sergeant Dave Morris, of the Cardiff-based Operation Leopard Metal Theft Team said, “The irony is that had Ellis and Walters actually managed to steal any cable, it would have had no real value to anyone outside the railway industry, yet the cost to replace it is extremely high."

Witness appeal after Rhyl railway station disorder

Three men from Wrexham have been arrested in connection with a disturbance involving football fans in Rhyl on Saturday.

British Transport Police is appealing for witnesses to the incident which happened on a train at Rhyl railway station at around 6.45pm.

The men, aged 49, 31 and 21, were arrested along with a 34-year-old man, on suspicion of public order offences and bailed pending further enquiries.

The disturbance took place on board a Holyhead to Shrewsbury service, which was stationary at Rhyl station at the time...

This must have been an intimidating environment for other passengers on board the train and on the platform at Rhyl. We do not tolerate anti-social and violent behaviour like this and we will be continuing our enquiries, including viewing any available CCTV and speaking to witnesses.

– Inspector Mark Jones, British Transport Police

Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 405040 quoting reference number WSUB/B7 of 14/04/2014.

CCTV released in connection with train assault

Officers want to speak to a woman in connection with the train assault Credit: British Transport Police

Officers investigating an assault on a 16 year-old girl at Abercynon rail station have released CCTV images of a woman they would like to speak to in connection with the incident.

Investigating officer PC Ian Brinkworth said: "The victim-a 16 year-old girl from Pontypridd- was waiting for a train with her friend when she was approached by a woman, who subsequently subjected her to a series of threats and verbal abuse.

"A few minutes later her train arrived and the victim boarded. However, she was followed by the woman, who forced her way past the train guard and punched the victim to the side of her face before leaving the train just prior to its departure."

Network Rail: 'Trespass is just not a risk worth taking'

Figures show that despite most people agreeing it’s dangerous to trespass on railway tracks, a third believe they would hear a train in time to move out of the way.

This increases to more than half of 16-24-year-old males.

Too many people think they would hear a train in time to move clear - tragically we know this isn’t the case.

The sound of a train approaching is much quieter than you would imagine, with the wheels pushing noise out sidewards, rather than forwards, and distorting what you hear.

Trespass is just not a risk worth taking.

– Mark Langman, Network Rail Wales Cymru
Load more updates