Live updates

Nurse accused of sex assaults on women patients

Nurse Benedyct Czajkowski denies three counts of sexual assault. Credit: Wales News Service

A male nurse sexually assaulted two women patients at night after they asked him for help with their pain, Cardiff Crown Court has heard. Polish-born Benedyct Czajkowski, 58, is accused of groping a woman after slipping his hand inside her pyjamas.

Czajkowski is alleged to have pulled down the underwear of another woman after she pressed a buzzer in the night at the University Hospital of Wales in Heath, Cardiff.

Prosecutor David Webster said the NHS nurse sexually assaulted the first woman after reporting chest pains.

Mr Webster said the other woman had only recently joined the general ward at University Hospital Wales after experiencing pain in her stomach.

Mr Webster said the woman felt so scared and uncomfortable she got out of bed on a morphine drip and walked to the nurses station in tears to report him.

Czajkowski, of Grangetown, Cardiff, was arrested by police soon after and claimed all his actions were "medically justified" even if they weren't usual medical practice in the UK. He denies three counts of sexual assault and one count of assault by beating.


Jockey denies sexually grooming teen stable girls

Amateur rider Stephen Cashmore of Swansea denies the charges. Credit: Wales News Service

A jockey has been accused of sexually grooming teenage girls who "hero worshipped" him as they mucked out stables. Stephen Cashmore, 49, is accused of three counts of indecency with a child and four of indecent assault against three different victims.

A jury at Cardiff Crown Court heard three women, now in their late thirties, came forward to claim Cashmore preyed on them between 1988 and 1991.

Amateur rider Cashmore, of Bonymaen, Swansea, is also accused of exposing himself at another girl, touching her thigh and trying to kiss her.

Cashmore denies four charges of indecent assault and three of indecency. The trial continues.

Dad jailed for killing son with stab to the neck

Neil Davies had string of convictions including some for violence. Credit: Wales News Service

Neil Davies, 53, stabbed his son Joshua, 24, in the neck with a kitchen knife when the two argued at their Cardiff home a few hours after celebrating a Wales' rugby victory over England in March.

Cardiff Crown Court heard the force of the blow slashed Joshua's carotid artery and almost severed his jugular vein - leaving him sprawled on a sofa soaked in blood. Despite frantic efforts by police and paramedics they could not save six-footer Joshua.

Joshua Davies, 24, was stabbed in the neck by his father Neil. Credit: Wales News Service

Davies was jailed for five years after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter. A neighbour in a nearby flat overheard Davies crying, "He's dying, what have I done, what have you done?" and when he rang emergency services a distraught Davies said, "I just stabbed my son, please help".

The court heard the pair had been drinking for almost 12 hours at the Cross Inn pub and the British Legion club in Rumney, Cardiff. CCTV footage at the club showed the couple pushing each other and arguing shortly before they left just after midnight to return to their flat in nearby Llanrumney.

Defending lawyer David Aubrey QC told Cardiff Crown Court that Joshua had continued with his confrontational behaviour at the flat. Mr Aubrey said, "He struck the defendant on the left cheek and his father was trying to calm him down.

"He was making sandwiches and Joshua followed him into the kitchen, The defendant had the knife in his hand preparing a meal. He is adamant he did not deliberately arm himself with the knife but accepts he must have waved it around to ward off Joshua."

The court heard that Davies had string of 41 convictions including some for violence and had served previous prison sentences.

Joshua's mother Karen Brady, 47, broke down in tears the case and had to be comforted by friends afterwards.

Teenage arsonist sentenced to four years detention

A teenage arsonist who caused a £700,000 fire on his 15th birthday has been sentenced to four years detention at Cardiff Crown Court.The court heard how James Proctor started two arson attacks in the first three hours of his birthday.

He used a cigarette lighter to set fire to a taxi parked in the street and he then used paper dowsed with fuel to set fire to three commuter buses and a lorry in the Newport Transport depot.

Proctor, of Gloucestershire, was sentenced to four years youth detention after admitting two counts of arson and being reckless in endangering lives.


Pensioner death caused by bird's nest left in chimney

A chimney sweep has been fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs after his failure to remove a bird's nest from a chimney flue led to the death of a Maesteg pensioner.

Phillip Jones, of Porthcawl, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive.

The court was told that 73-year-old retired miner Derwyn Rees who lived in Llangynwyd, Maesteg, had experienced problems keeping his solid fuel fire alight.

Mr Jones, who has been a sweep for 25 years, was asked to sweep the chimney and carried out the work in September 2008.

The next day – Mr Rees’ birthday - his neighbours noticed his curtains were still drawn and found him dead in his bed. Following a police-led investigation an inquest in October 2010 revealed he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Further investigations by HSE and a solid fuel specialist revealed an extensive bird’s nest inside the chimney.

They found that Mr Jones had encountered a blockage of the chimney while sweeping but did not check to see if his brush cleared the chimney pot which would indicate the blockage had been cleared.

In addition, he failed to carry out a proper smoke test after completing the job, give advice to Mr Rees on ventilating the property or give any verbal or written warning.

Mr Rees niece, Janet Jones, said:

“Derwyn’s death was an avoidable tragedy and has had a huge impact on the family. We hope this case sends a clear message to sweeps so that this sort of incident does not happen again and other people are not put at risk."

Further information on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning can be found on the HSE website at

Cardiff woman agreed to sham marriage 'to pay her rent'

Sharon Creaghan at Cardiff Crown Court Credit: D Legakis / Athena Pictures

A woman from Cardiff agreed to marry a foreign student in a sham marriage to "pay her rent".

Sharon Creaghan, 45, a mum of three, was about to marry a Pakistani student in a register office for £1,400 when police and Border Agency officials intercepted.

Cardiff Crown Court heard how Creaghan had not even told her teenage children she was about to wed Naseer Awan.

Creaghan had a "crib sheet" at home to remember facts and details about the 34-year-old groom's life and family.

Prosecutor John Probert said: "Officers discovered a marriage had been booked at Cardiff registry office in the name of Awan.

"At 11.15am they found the prospective bride and groom and a number of guests. After short interviews with guests both the bride and groom were arrested."

Creaghan and Awan, both of Cardiff, admitted conspiracy to facilitate the commission of a breach of immigration law.

Janet Treharne, defending Awan, said he had tried to get permanent residency in the UK through the marriage so his sick nine-year-old Pakistani son could get treatment on the NHS.

Creaghan was sentenced to 32 weeks in jail, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to carry out 150 hours unpaid work in the community.

Awan was jailed for 12 months and was told the Border Agency will then look into him being deported to Pakistan.

Two sex attacks in the space of one hour

Jackson, groped a young woman underneath Newport railway station. He the returned and raped another. Credit: Wales News Service

A 23-year-old man has been given an indeterminate jail sentence after carrying out two sex attacks on two different women in the space of an hour. Wayne Jackson from Newport admitted rape, sexual assault and robbery.

The judge told him he was a 'dangerous criminal' whose offences were 'horrifying'. Both attacks took place in the subway underneath Newport railway station in November last year.

Prosecutor Leighton Hughes said: "Morgan took advantage of the seclusion provided by the subway to perpetrate two furious sexual assaults within an hour of each other. "The victims were young women making their way home and neither expected he would use that night to satisfy his deviant nature."

Load more updates