Live updates



Supermarket machete attack 'was revenge for Lee Rigby'

A trainee dentist suffered life-changing injuries in a racially motivated revenge attack, a court has heard.

Victim Dr Sarandev Bhambra, from Leeds, was working at Mold in North Wales and was attacked with a machete and a hammer when he went to do some lunch time shopping.

Zack Davies denies trying to murder Dr Sarander Bhambra Credit: Andrew Price

Defendant Zack Davies was said to be laughing and shouting “this is revenge” and “this is for Lee Rigby” as he did so.

Mr Davies denies attempted murder but admits wounding with intent.

Fusilier Rigby was murdered in Woolwich, south-east London, in May 2013. Credit: ITV News

Prosecuting barrister Sion ap Mihangel said that Mr Davies had gone out looking for his mother’s boyfriend to attack him, but he could not find him.

Instead, he followed Dr Bhambra because of his Asian appearance into the Tesco store and attacked him within minutes with the machete and claw hammer which he had in a rucksack.

The trial continues.

Man jailed after taxi driver loses eye in attack

Russell Owen Thomas of Llandudno was jailed for three years. Credit: North Wales Police

A North Wales taxi driver had his left eye removed after he was attacked by a wild passenger Mold Crown Court has heard.

The victim Richard Brennan Mattison was maimed for life and now faces an uncertain future – with the possibility that he may lose the sight in his other eye.

His attacker Russell Owen Thomas, 26, of of Bodhyfryd Road in Llandudno, was jailed for three years after he admitted wounding and damaging Mr Mattison’s Fiat taxi vehicle.

Mold Crown Court heard how Thomas – who has a previous conviction for robbery – head-butted the Perspex screen protecting the driver and a jaggered piece severed his left eye.

Thomas then callously left him alone in the dark – badly injured and bleeding profusely.

Thomas had thrown £20 for the fare through the gap and £45 for the damage.

A police officer realised the enormity of the injury and called an ambulance and he was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital at Bodelwyddan where he remained for a week.

Judge Peter Heywood said, "You caused a catastrophic injury to this taxi driver which have blighted his life. In my view, taxi drivers working in the early hours of the morning to ensure that people get home safely are vulnerable."

Victim Richard Brennan Mattison said he's been subjected to “gangster style intimidation” and said he had been threatened with death if he gave his attacker’s name to the police.

Man sentenced to prison for breaking his baby son's leg

The man was jailed for 18 months at Mold Crown Court Credit: ITV News Wales

A mid-Wales man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for breaking his 13-day old baby son's leg.

The 22-year-old from the Newtown area denied a charge of Grievous Bodily Harm.

He said that the incident happened when we was changing his son's nappy. He told the court that he feared the boy's leg might have been dislocated when the baby turned and twisted.

But the prosecution told a jury at Mold Crown Court that the fractured femur could not have occurred that way.

The judge, Mr Recorder Phillip Davies said: "Significant force, outside the normal course of changing a baby's nappy, would have been required.

"Fortunately, the fracture was completely united and within a month or so the leg seemed to be equal in length to the other, although that would be monitored. Very fortunately no significant damage has been caused by your actions."

Man given life sentence for attempted murder

Sean Hedley Tierney was sentenced to serve a minimum of 15 years in prison Credit: North Wales Police

A man who tried to kill a retired couple living next door has been given a life sentence in prison.

Sean Hedley Tierney, 66-years-old and from Llandudno, admitted attempting to murder his neighbours Nigel and Margery Gibbs last August.

Today he was told he must serve a minimum of 15 years for the attack.

Speaking after the court hearing, Detective Inspector Iestyn Davies said North Wales Police welcomed the sentence imposed by the Judge.

He said: “This brings to an end a detailed police investigation following the vicious attack upon Mr and Mrs Gibbs at their home in Ffordd Dulyn, Llandudno, on Tuesday 20th August 2012, when their neighbour Sean Tierney stabbed them for no apparent reason.

"Both Nigel and Marjorie Gibbs received serious injuries and it is due to their strength and determination, together with the skill of the medical staff that they have survived."

Load more updates