Extreme rain and flooding meant the track foundations were washed away in a number of places between Newport and Abergavenny.Read the full story ›
The coroner said the investigation into exactly what happened to Michael Lewis and Gareth Delbridge could take twelve months.Read the full story ›
To combat bridge strikes, Network Rail has launched its 'Lorries can't limbo' campaign aimed at professional HGV drivers and others.Read the full story ›
Passengers being urged to check before they travel as upgrading work begins between Cardiff and the Severn Tunnel.Read the full story ›
Services between Porth and Treherbert are likely to be suspended until the end of today.Read the full story ›
Network Rail says thousands of rail passengers in Wales and the borders will suffer hours of delays and cancellations in the next month as 'bridge-strikes' - when a lorry that's too big hits a low bridge - reach their peak.
Technology is now being used on Bute Street rail bridge in Cardiff, one of the busiest railway bridges in Wales.
A remote bridge camera system has been installed. The new system will allow engineers to remotely monitor the structure when a strike occurs. This reduces the time it takes to confirm if any significant damage has been caused to the structure and it means trains can get moving again quickly once it has been established the structure is safe.
Network Rail has also been working with haulage companies to urge drivers to measure vehicles and plan their route to avoid bashing bridges as part the 'What the truck' campaign.
Every time a large vehicle strikes a rail bridge, it can cause inconvenience for thousands of passengers in Wales and the borders, as well as potential costs for taxpayers.
We work closely with our partners Arriva Trains Wales to get passengers on the move as quickly and safely as possible when an incident does occur, but we need HGV drivers and their employers to get on board with our initiative and make bridge strikes a thing of the past.
There is a claim that a decision has already been made to privatise Network Rail infrastructure in Wales and the South Wales Valley lines.Read the full story ›
Network Rail has finished work on the historic Cynghordy Viaduct near Llandovery, as part of the Railway Upgrade Plan.Read the full story ›
Failings in the Great Western rail line upgrade raise concerns over similar projects, an influential parliamentary committee has said.Read the full story ›
Network Rails says the Conwy Valley line will remain closed until further notice, after investigations revealed the extent of the damage caused by a tree falling on the line during Storm Doris last week.
The line has remained shut since Thursday 23 February, when a tree fell on the line and disturbed vegetation on the rock face next to the railway at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
We’re working hard to repair the rock face and get the line reopened as soon as it is safe to do so. The safety of passengers and our workforce is our number one priority. Due to the challenging weather conditions following Storm Doris, we made the decision that it would be unsafe to access the site until a full assessment of the rock face had taken place.
The aerial investigation allowed us to assess the affected area safely, and we are now carrying out de-vegetation work on the rock face. Once this has been completed we will carry out a more detailed evaluation of the site and put an extensive repair programme in place.