More than 1400 people were screen in Llwynhendy after a woman died and 29 cases of TB were identified in an outbreak.Read the full story ›
The findings suggests that preventative action could prevent crime and reduce costs for the criminal justice system.Read the full story ›
Public Health Wales says it will review the breast screening programme in Wales after a 'serious failure' in EnglandRead the full story ›
A Public Health Wales spokesperson says syphilis is "very serious" if left untreated.
Figures have revealed a rise in cases of the infection across Wales.
We are seeing an increase in cases of syphilis across Wales, the majority being in men who have sex with men.
However, we also have cases in people who are bisexual and heterosexual, and many of these have become infected after meeting people on dating websites and apps.
We would advise anyone who thinks they may have been put at risk to contact their local sexual health clinic for a test, as the infection can be treated with antibiotics but can be very serious if left untreated.
We are also reminding everyone that it’s a good idea to use a condom.
An increase in cases of syphilis across Wales could be linked to the use of dating websites and mobile phone apps for casual sex, according to Public Health Wales.
Thirty-nine cases of the bacterial infection have been reported in North Wales since the middle of 2013, compared with a usual average of around seven per year.
In South Wales, 55 cases have been reported so far this year.
A Public Health Wales spokesperson said: "There is evidence that the infection is spreading particularly quickly in people who use dating websites and apps to meet other people for casual sex."
Three people who fell ill after taking the drug Mephedrone are likely to have been affected by the amount consumed and not because the drug was contaminated, according to a Public Health Wales investigation.
Two were admitted to intensive care following the incident earlier this month. One has now been discharged but the other remains critically ill.
Laboratory tests on the drug have ruled out any contamination and the investigation has now concluded.
Two people from the Swansea area are critically ill in hospital after taking mephedrone. Public Health Wales say they are treating three adults and are carrying out lab tests to see whether the drug was contaminated by bacteria or a chemical cutting agent.
Public Health Wales has urged anyone with symptoms of syphilis, or who may be at risk of infection, to attend their local sexual health clinic to be tested.
Health officials say that, to date, most cases have been in cases of men who have sex with men.
People with syphilis may develop painless ulcers in their genital or mouth area. They may also develop a rash over their body, palms of the hands and soles of their feet.
These symptoms may disappear without the person being aware of them, but they will remain infected and risk infecting other sexual partners.
The symptoms of tertiary syphilis, which will occur many years after acquiring infection, can be dangerous enough to cause death.
Syphilis can be cured with a course of antibiotics. The best way to prevent syphilis and other sexually transmitted diseases is to use a condom.
Public Health Wales and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board have introduced enhanced surveillance, communication with health workers and targeted promotion to the most at-risk people, to try to stop the increase in the number of cases.
Public health experts have warned that there has been a "significant increase" in infectious syphilis cases in North Wales.
There have been 39 cases reported to Public Health Wales in North Wales since the middle of 2013.
Normally, there are around seven cases a year in the area.
The rise in cases was first seen in residents on Anglesey - but there are now cases across North Wales.
Syphilis is a bacterial infection that can be passed on through sexual contact.