Live updates


New mum beaten up by partner for showing off new baby to friends

A new mother was beaten up by her baby's dad for proudly showing off the newborn to her friends before his family.

Swansea Crown Court Credit: PA

Jealous Anthony Davies, 33, attacked his girlfriend just two days after she gave birth to their baby.

He pushed her over and dragged her around their house in an attack as their baby slept in a Moses basket.

Swansea Crown Court was told the stitches she had from the birth had burst during the attack.

Davies was said to be "frustrated" her friends visited the newborn ahead of his brothers.

Judge Huw Davies told him: "You acted in a wholly unacceptable way. This was a frightening experience for your partner."

Davies, of Pontarddulais, admitted battery. He was sentenced to a 12 month community order.

Burglars who raided Garry Monk's house jailed

James Green was given 4 years and Ben Llewellyn was jailed for six. Credit: South Wales Police

Two men have been sent to prison for a total of 10 years following a police investigation into a series of house burglaries across Swansea and Neath.

Ben Llewellyn, aged 28, and James Green, who is 34, are both from Morriston.

Detectives initially arrested the pair for a burglary in Alltwen after they were disturbed by the lone female occupant of a house. They were then linked to the burglary at the home of Swansea City coach Garry Monk by officers who matched their footwear to forensic evidence at the scene.

Two women were also arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods – police discovered a photograph of one of them modelling a watch belonging to the partner of Garry Monk.

After Llewellyn and Green were remanded in custody they confessed to committing over 30 burglaries dating back to 2002.

The £3,500 Chanel watch stolen from Garry Monk's house. Credit: South Wales Police

Earlier this month Donna Williams, aged 33, from Brokesby Road in Bonymaen, admitted handling stolen goods from the burglary of Garry Monk’s house, namely a £3,500 Chanel watch, which she bought for £20.

Detective Constable Chris Grey of Swansea CID said, “We have contacted all the victims of these crimes to inform them and in some cases we have been able to return substantial amounts of stolen property to them.”

Waste firm fined £90k for worker's severed arm

The court heard the worker's arm was pulled off by a conveyor belt. Credit: PA

An experienced worker had his right forearm pulled off by a conveyor belt as he was trying to clean it, a court heard today.

Stephen John, 57, of Baglan Moors, Port Talbot, was working for Neath Port Talbot Recycling Ltd in Swansea when the incident happened in 2011.

Swansea Crown Court fined the company a total of £90,000 and ordered it to pay £50,000 in costs in a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive.

The court heard that Mr John was asked to clean a conveyor which had become blocked with a sticky black substance. The company did not have any safe system of work for completing this task, and experienced employees like Mr John had developed their own way of cleaning the conveyor belt roller.

To clean the rollers, one employee stood by the control switch, which is out of sight from the conveyor, and a second person inserted a bar and scraped the flack from the roller. He then inserted his arm to wipe away the flack.

On the day of the incident, Mr John inserted his arm and was wiping the flack away. He then passed the bar to a work colleague. The switch controller misinterpreted this as a signal and started the conveyor. Mr John's right forearm was trapped and amputated by the conveyor belt."


Man in court over Gleision Colliery mining disaster

A man accused of causing the death of four miners in the Gleision Colliery disaster has appeared at Swansea Crown Court.

Malcolm Fyfield was the general manager of the mine when the incident happened in September 2011. He has been charged with four counts of gross negligence manslaughter.

Mr Fyfield was remanded on bail until May 20, when he will be expected to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty to the charges.

Also appearing in court were representatives of MNS Mining Ltd, which owned the mine at the time of the incident, to answer charges of corporate manslaughter.

Lawyers told the court that the company representatives would also not be entering a plea, and will also appear in court on May 20.

  1. Joanna Simpson, Correspondent

Defendant accused of telling 'lies' under cross examination

Today Ben De Vere Hope was accused by his co-defendant's defence barrister of being Aamir Siddiqi's killer and of telling "deliberate lies."John Charles Rees QC said that Mr Hope was constantly changing his story even from what he had told the jury just yesterday.

Mr Rees said: "When that terrible act was committed it was you that was standing in a pool of blood. Itwas you that got blood on his shoes. It was you who ran out and left a foot mark on the top step.

Ben Hope, left, and Jason Richards, right, are on trial at Swansea Crown Court Credit: Court Artist

"Your shoes were got rid of because your shoes were standing in that blood and because you were hit by arterial spray.That is why you lied about the shoes and got rid if them isn't it?"Mr Hope answered "No" to each allegation.

Mr Rees put it to Mr Hope that in police interviews he asked "what happens to my hands?" and told police he thought "it would all be gone by now. What with washing, scrubbing nails. Cleaning surfaceswith bleach?"

'What was it?' Mr Rees asked ''what would all be gone?" Mr Hope said it was a "hypothetical question" and not an admission."You knew they'd check your fingernails that's why you scrubbed your nails after killing Aamir Siddiqi wasn't it?" Mr Rees asked. Mr Hope replied: "it wasn't, no."

Swansea Crown Court heard Mr Hope didn't tell the police he had bought a laptop because he didn't want them knowing he'd spent a large amount of money and didn't tell police he'd taken heroin and changed his clothes because of blood stains as he doesn't like to "broadcast" that he took heroin.

When asked why he hadn't told police he was in a "drug stupor" after taking heroin, Mr Hope replied: "I wasn't expecting to be charged with murder."

Mr Hope said in police interviews that when he saw the murder of Aamir Siddiqi on the news he knew what Jason Richards had been talking about when he said "I might have killed somebody."

Mr Rees said: "Why did you say he (Mr Richards) had repeatedly stabbed somebody in the first interview if he hadn't said that to you?" "I don't recall," Mr Hope replied.

Ben Hope denies murder of Aamir Siddiqi

The second defendant charged with the murder of Cardiff teenager Aamir Siddiqi and the attempted murder of his parents has denied having anything to do with the incident.

Asked by his defence barrister if he was 'involved in any way' in killing Aamir or attacking his parents, Ben Hope both times replied 'No, I wasn't.'

Mr Hope claimed the other defendant Jason Richards told him that he may have murdered someone. Mr Hope said: 'he said 'I might have killed somebody or words to that effect'.' His barrister asked 'did you believe him?' He replied 'no, he's a bit of a fantastist.' The trial continues.

Load more updates