Live updates

Twitter reaction to Welsh Tory grammar school call


Twitter reaction to Richards' UKIP move

There's been a strong reaction online to the news that former Welsh Office minister Rod Richards has joined UKIP and is said to be seeking selection as one of the party's candidates in next year's European Parliament elections. Plaid Cymru's Dafydd Elis Thomas tweeted his response:

Matthew Evans, who leads the Conservative group on Newport council, said he was sorry to see Mr Richards finally sever links with his party.

But one UKIP tweeter was doubtful about the former minister's chances of winning the support of members of his new party.

Twitter reaction to Leighton Andrews resignation

Twitter reaction to Tory M4 call


Arrest after abusive Tom Daley tweet

South Wales Police have arrested a 28 year old man from the Port Talbot area in connection with offensive comments sent to Olympic diver Tom Daley on Twitter.

Police say the man was interviewed at Neath police station and has been released on bail pending further enquiries.

The arrest comes after Port Talbot Town Football Club yesterday suspended midfielder Daniel Thomas after an allegedly homophobic message appeared to have been sent to the diver via twitter.

A Port Talbot Town FC spokesman said that after speaking 'at length' to Thomas, they believed that '...he regrettably left his phone unattended and was the victim of a very misguided 'prank'.'

Mr Thomas will now be the subject of an internal investigation by the club.

Student pleads guilty to 'racially aggravated' Muamba tweets

Liam Stacey leaving court this morning Credit: Athena Picture Agency

A Twitter 'troll' has appeared in court in Swansea to admit writing racist and offensive tweets about soccer star Fabrice Muamba.

Swansea University student Liam Stacey, 21, appeared in Swansea Magistrates' Court after his comments about the Bolton Wanderers player.

Magistrates heard Stacey tried to "distance himself" from the comments by saying his account had been hacked.

He later tried to delete his page, but police arrested him on Sunday morning at his student home in Swansea.

This morning, he pleaded guilty to a racially-aggravated public order offence to incite violence.

Stacey was freed on bail on condition he stays off Twitter and other social networking sites. He will be sentenced next week - but was warned he could face jail.