A cordon surrounding a section of Queen Street following a suspected gas leak has been reduced.
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the city centre at 12.30pm after reports of a potential underground fault in a main utility line supplying the street.
Local shops were evacuated and the area was cordoned off to prevent public access into the area.
Wales and West Utilities say engineers discovered a fire on an electrical cable in the basement of a shop.
Fire officers remain at the scene as a precaution.
There has been disruption throughout the day but we have managed to keep that to a minimum. I’d like to thank the public and businesses in the area for their cooperation this afternoon. We evacuated the area for their safety and were able to implement it quickly with everybody’s full co-operation and understanding.”
More top news
An ITV News / the Guardian investigation has found major concerns about the businessman behind the project endorsed by Bear Grylls.
Gavin & Stacey star James Corden has shared a sneak peak into rehearsals for the highly-anticipated Christmas special.
Theo Treharne-Jones was on holiday with his family on the island of Kos when he was found in a swimming pool in a "tragic accident."